Lighting for a hooped bivi

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm going to try some lightweight backpacking with a bivi bag replacing my tent. I've used bivi bags many times but find them claustrophobic. I'd like to have some sort of low level lighting so that it's never totally black inside the bag, other than glowsticks what are my options?

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Get some of those glow in the dark stars you can get for kids bedrooms and apply to the inside of the hooped bivvy.

You'll get the effect of sleeping under the stars but with out actually sleeping under the stars.... Plus a nice glow inside the bivvy bag.....

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've been using one of these for a while now. The batteries have lasted a good 50 hrs, much longer than specced. The lights good enough to read under and a good spread. Its not this exact make I have as it came from the states but looks identical. With run down batteries, it would be pretty good for low level lighting and with new battreis, you could just hang a sock over it.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/mini-led-camping-lantern-48560?c=froogle&u=48560&t=module

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What about one of those mini Photon lights, the DealExtreme copies are pretty good, cheap and plentiful

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've used a krill light for a night light for the past half a dozen years or so and thought about suggesting them but also thought that it might be a bit too bright in the confines of a bivybag. I tried a Tritium tube as a permanent night light in a 9' x 9' Tundra 3 lavvu and whilst you could see the thing, it cast next to no light over area and was useless in anything but absolute full-on blackness, and not much good then. The stick-on stars and other luminous stuff are ok but require exposure to bright light for some time befor the emit light and the inside of a bivy only sees the light whist its being aired.

I haven't tried the electrluminescent stuff but it seems to be a Krill light in string form. EL sheet is also available and may have an application to suit.

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Krill light.
I use up my batteries from my torch/camera once they are too run down to use.
They're still good enough to run the Krill.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Yer might be pleasantly surprised, its quite spacious, and yer shouldn't need to zip the chin end up in most weather. Just give some thought to wind direction and just have the bug screen zipped up.

sent using my sausage thumb

Biker

Just wondering, if all you're after is a gentle glow then why not use one of those LED decorative garden lamps. The older ones give off a soft-ish glow rather than a piercing light. I butchered one up for a nightlight on a step for a nieghbour. Set the solar panal by the window to catch the sunlight and ran the LED via thin speaker wire to the side of the step to light it when he has to walk through to his bathroom in the night. Just gave off enough of a warning glow to alert him to where the step was.

Anyway twas just a thought.

Those krill lamps do look good.... like I need another lantern. As for those tritium doo dahs... shiney shiiney ...Must... resist...:lmao:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi mate, do a google search on a uco candle lantern, they do a mini version which runs off off tea lights, they say you can get up to 8 hours light off of 1 candle!! Cheaper than batterys too!!
I can't link from my mobile phone but will put one in later when home!!
Cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE