Light Weight Tripod Recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I'm with Wayland on this one. Cheap, "lightweight" tripod are a false economy.

Saying that it really depends on what you are planing to take pictures of for you to be able to answer the question of "what do I need". I think the question you should be asking (again with Wayland on this) is "when would I need a tripod/what would I want it for".

When I went to Everest/Nepal I would have loved to have taken my big tripod and kit, but totally impractical for the trip. I couldn't hold up the group of 20 walkers to set it up and take "the shot". So in the end I took my small but sturdy enough table top tripod - http://www.trek-tech.com/products/tripods.html - I find the advantage this has over Grillipods is can be used as a small monopod as well.

A couple of shots taken using the smaller T'pod above.
4375492301_b3794664e2.jpg

4375387827_b14f0fb44e.jpg

If you want something a little taller, I can recommend the Trek Tech GO! pod - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7sam2Z4qv4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.trek-tech.com/products/trekpods.html - 2nd one down.

To give it some extra stability I hang my rucksack from the centre pole for extra weight.

Mike

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'm with Wayland on this one. Cheap, "lightweight" tripod are a false economy.

Saying that it really depends on what you are planing to take pictures of for you to be able to answer the question of "what do I need". I think the question you should be asking (again with Wayland on this) is "when would I need a tripod/what would I want it for".

Hi thanks for all of the input and advice

Back in my OP I was asking about lightweight tripods. I don't think I mentioned 'cheap' anywhere?? :dunno:

I'm not really after a cheapo version from jessops or boots (not that we have either of those shops here) but as with a lot of things with the outdoors lightweight does not always equate to cheap....:)

I'm pretty conversant with a few aspects of photography and I did set out in another post what I was wanting a tripod for..:)

Yep I'm planning on long exposures mainly smaller apatures working with the available light in the bush. With that you'll end up with longer exposure / shutter speeds to long to hand hold. Plus with a tripod you can get the camera all squared up nicely..

With a camera like a G11 at some point you must get to a point of no return where the weight of whatever you're bolting to tripod wise is not going to actually going to give you anything better stability wise. :confused:

If I had something like an X-Pan, or a 503 or Bronica SQ-Ai with all of the kit than I can really appreciate the advice that heavier is better. But we're talking about a 'compact' camera which is what 1/2 KG all up with limited ability to bolt anything extra onto it...

Wayland I agree the G10 / G11 stabiliser is very good... and it can produce a cracking image for me at least... I'll take a look at the Manfrotto MN190 I've also been looking at the Sherpa series from Velbon....

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

Cheers

John

C

Craghopper

I just went to Gambia and have a lot of travelling planned for next year so recently went down Tottenham Court Road and tried out loads of different travel tripods and mono pods. In the end I settled for a black 'Slik Mini Sprint'... linky:

http://www.sliktripod.co.uk/pages/sprintmini.html

Not so heavy as to want to leave it at home, small enough to pack in a regular day pack and stable enough to get some decent long exposures. I hang my bag from the bottom of vertical tube to stabilise it a little more if needed. Really nice tripod and easy to use... oh yeah it has a ball & cup style head as well which is a bonus.

Cost me £80 or £90. Would defo recommend it as a decent all rounder, okay it's no studio heavy weight but it certainly does what it's meant to do. Hey you could even get the Carbon version for another few hundred ;)

CH

Edit: I'm using a Nikon D90 with 60mm Micro.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE