Light weight, small pack synthetic sleeping bag wanted - rated -5C. Ideas anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
The time has come to buy a new sleeping bag :)

I'm hoping to get out in the TrailStar more this summer, so want a synthetic bag - just in case it tips it down.

I'd like it to be light weight and pack down small - i recon rated down to -5C would cover me for all eventualities.

So, can you recommend any? Shewie? ;)

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I got a vango ultralite 900 for my boy last year and I must admit I was quite impressed with it, give it a look.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
The time has come to buy a new sleeping bag :)

I'm hoping to get out in the TrailStar more this summer, so want a synthetic bag - just in case it tips it down.

I'd like it to be light weight and pack down small - i recon rated down to -5C would cover me for all eventualities.

So, can you recommend any? Shewie? ;)

Have a look at the softie elite range, pack down small and quite light for synthetic. Elite 4 or 5 for -5 comfort of top of head I think. I have the Eliet 3 and find it quite decent although I wouldn't take it or any other synthetic hiking and would just prefer a decent down/bivi bag.

However, you have a bivy bag as an option rather than getting new bag. The Hunka XL are only £40 or if you wanted to go lighter there is the Borah bivi made from silnylon/m90 etc for about £55. Also the MLD superlight, Zpacks and TiGoat etc.

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
The colder it is the harder it is to carry the weight of a suitable synthetic bag. Having said that if you accept the weight and size as a reality of out of season camping then a Snugpak Elite is a good option. Don't forget to look on ebay for barely used ones though as you can save a fortune that way.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
The colder it is the harder it is to carry the weight of a suitable synthetic bag. Having said that if you accept the weight and size as a reality of out of season camping then a Snugpak Elite is a good option. Don't forget to look on ebay for barely used ones though as you can save a fortune that way.

Indeed. Also if not in a real rush you can search for something and then click the "follow this search" and then click the email notification check box (used to just simply be a save this search option). Once you have done this you will be instantly notified of any new posting of things matching your search. I have quite often got real bargains new/old this way. Best one was a new/unused Mountain Equipment Xero 350 couple of year back for about £160 which RRP was £280 at time.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If you're feeling flush, then Kifaru do a neat range of synthetic-filled sleeping bags that come in a couple of heights and widths for the ampler, more gorgeous American frame. They are very light and compress well but are painfully expensive. The current range have a centre zip. I have an old one (with a side zip) that has been absolutely brilliant and is still going strong but, I have to admit, I did get it for a truckload less than the current batch! As I said, if you're feeling flush, they are worth a look...

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Have you considered layering bags? I find the flexibility of a second extra bag inside or outside the first bag (especially if it's different from the first bag) gives a lot more options than having just a single bag.

I bought a very light one-season bag for something like 2.50 from Oxfam. Occasionally use it inside an old four-season bag. It makes a big difference in cold weather, and I can use the lightweight bag on its own in warm weather when the four-season bag would be too much.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Some food for thought there, thanks.

I'm liking the look of the ultra lamina. Might even go 0C rated and get a silk liner for more versatility.

The Kifru looks good, but the price is a bit steep - even for me ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE