Lifting the lid on Woodlore!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Dunno - looks usefull - but there are surely a million ways to do this. I think the bigger problem is that it's not really "bushcrafty" to buy a little thing like this - i'd have thought that making one would be more in the spirit.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
"Finished with a wooden handle to avoid heat transferring to the hand."

But the wood is only on one side, so if it gets hot it will still burn your hand.

I use a wood stick with a notch carved near the end to lift my dutch oven lids.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It appears that the woodlore site goes against the whole bushcraft thing of keepin it simple and not carrying loads of gear. I can't quite fathom it out!

:rolleyes:

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
You would expect to pay less than £12 for a cast iron pot itself!?
Its just someone saying "Now what else can we sell and say that Ray Mears uses in order to jack the price up and have people willingly pay for it."
Sorry if that doesn't make sense, as I have just discovered it is difficult to write a post while listening to tunnel of love by dire straits:lmao:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A "potlidstanderona" device how have we managed before invent of this revolutionary device ? I think the big mans a cracking fella and would love to meet the guy but i just hope that he could defend some of the kit and prices that come from that site. It would be a nightmare to carry, easy too loose on a leafy floor thus tripping on it/ kebabing your self.
That and the fact of leaving one behind every time you setup camp as you cant find it when you have to leave probably rusting into a nice sharp surprise. I may be missing the point but its how it seems to be :(

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
all this time i've been usuing a stick and resting my lids on a rock - i knew there had to be a better way! let's hope it's the first of many such innovative products -
'The Ray Mears Portable Campsite Hatstand' (a stick)
'The Ray Mears Ember Spreader' (a stick)
'The Ray Mears Sock Drying System' (2 sticks)
and the flagship product;
'The Ray Mears Stick' (fully handcrafted by North American Indians, the 'Stick' is a unique piece of bushcraft kit in seasoned redwood, complete with bark, and full wood construction throughout. an essential for any serious outdoorsman, RRP £29.95. you'll never use a normal stick again...)

i feel a victor meldrew moment coming on

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Heh, interesting!

I could have done with one of these recently as I found trying to balance crouching next
to a hot pot, hold a ladle in one hand and remove a pot lid with the other - and park it
safely down-side up on the ground - and negotiate filling a vessel with hot water quite a
palaver :lmao: I watched others doing it a few times before I tried it for myself. This is largely
because I'm a bit unfit, chubby and not that coordinated, so for me this would have been
a godsend!

The lid's handle wasn't as hot as I thought it was going to be but I'm useless with
anything hot - really sensitive hands! If someone passes me a cup of tea while holding
the handle they have to put it down for me so that I can pick it up by the handle rather
than grab it around the top (too hot).

I think maybe you have to consider the audience for this - pehaps it's for the less
confident among us. I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to 'make one' myself and
would genuinely find it quite useful, even if it's not very bushcrafty and you were all
sitting next to me sniggering :D

This device might also be quite helpful for people with mobility difficulties - the handle
looks easy to hold for most people and will let you lever off the lid and rest it without
having to readjust your position.

For the fit competent bushcrafter (which is probably an awful lot of people visiting this
site) then I agree - it's perhaps an unnecessary indulgence.

Where I work we provide health information in a variety of languages which is culturally
relevant. This is for people whose culture has very variable beliefs about health and who
have difficulty in accessing information about their illnesses. The information is of no
use to your typical Brit who can find whatever they need from the web or friends and
who feels they have a right to good healthcare.

The point I am probably failing to make is that products that will seem pointless to
some could really be appreciated by others.

Well I hope some of that made sense :)

What's a caltrop?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE