Lifeventure Titanium Mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Sorry if this sounds like a bit of dumb question, but does anyone think it is OK (or has anyone tried) boiling water directly in a titanium mug - I have got a lifeventure 450 ml titanium mug but don't want to risk wrecking it if it isn't suitable for that.

I would be using either a optimus nova + running on parafin or the top plate on a woodland edge firebox.

Any views appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
you will buckle the bottom of the cup if you heat the pot up dry ie. when trying to melt snow for drinks.

If the cup is primed beforehand with a bit of water then its OK.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
It'll be fine, I do the same with Snow Peak 450 single wall titanium mugs and its no problem.

Also, the Snow Peak titanium plate and bowl make economic cookware!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must say that yup Titanium cook wear if fine if lightness is your credo, and adventure racers love it because of the weight issue. But I don't like it for cooking. Use a mug for cooking and then try to drink from it and you can expect to be sans a bottom lip... the heat transfer is fierce, as is the same if you're not just boiling water. It's so thing that anything more viscous than water is "welded" to the flame footprint. Again due to the heat transfer if you put it down to cool, before you know it it is stone cold again. Personally I would try hard anodized aluminum as if you don't use soapy water it's almost as non-stick as seasoned cast-iron with none of the weight. It is fractionally heavier than titanium but you'd be pushed to tell.
Goatboy.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Must say that yup Titanium cook wear if fine if lightness is your credo, and adventure racers love it because of the weight issue. But I don't like it for cooking. Use a mug for cooking and then try to drink from it and you can expect to be sans a bottom lip... the heat transfer is fierce, as is the same if you're not just boiling water. It's so thing that anything more viscous than water is "welded" to the flame footprint. Again due to the heat transfer if you put it down to cool, before you know it it is stone cold again. Personally I would try hard anodized aluminum as if you don't use soapy water it's almost as non-stick as seasoned cast-iron with none of the weight. It is fractionally heavier than titanium but you'd be pushed to tell.
Goatboy.

I don't find that with mine,I did with the crusader but not with the ti'.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
No I don't find that either. The lip cools down much quicker than stainless or alu. IMO it is the perfect material for camping mugs and pots that go direct to flame.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
cool chaps. I may be doing summat wrong, just found it awfull personally but always like to hear other tales. Maybe it was the cheap russian stuff I was using... remember those "bomb" like russian pressure stoves in the early 90's... scared me wittless

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE