Life in miniature

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
In Clouston98's recent thread a few folk had asked me about some of the mini penknives I had so here's a wee post of some of the little shiny things to mess with your idea of scale. The coin is a £1 one to give you an idea.

2014-05-04%2520Life%2520In%2520Minature.jpg

IMG_0061.JPG

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

The wee silver "Zippo" is made of Indian silver, both mini ones are fully operational. The mini "Jerry-can" I used to keep in the Landrover for a laugh.

A lot of folks like the mini "butterfly knife", though I always preferred the to scale working switchblade, though it has a bust spring at the moment and is laid up in the repair box.

Would be good to see some of you others mini tools instead of the huge leviathans we normally post up.

Cheers,
GB.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good stuff.

Are you on BB? Grace Horne has a collection of rice grain sized folders that I'm sure she has posted there.

To my shame I haven't been on BB in ages. Just fills me with yearning. May have a wee nosey now you've said though. Cheers.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Chaps!

Must say that I like blades in all sorts of sizes and proportions. Though I've grown out of my fascination for some of the larger brutes of my youth. Now much prefer little well made traditional blades. Though will admit to letting my inner orc out when using my billhook:rolleyes:

The wee knives originally stemmed from little blades carried/used for sharpening quills. The blades were small and razor shard to get a good writing edge on the tip as well as forming the rest of the feather.

hurford-quill-cutter-detail.jpg
hurford-quill-cutter.jpg

A quill-cutting machine patented in 1809 by Joseph Bramah (1748-1814). It measures only 3½ inches long, 5¼ inches with the folding quill knife extended. At left is a detail of the cutting dies.

Some of them get too small to be used but make nice little collectors pieces: -

Miniature folding knife or "dije" from Nontron, (France) and cherry stone. The cherry stone is carefully hand work, to make it a shell that can hold up to 12 mini Nontron folding knives, the mini folding knives measure 5mm long, folded, undoubtedly the world's smallest folding knives. It is a true work of art, rare and exceptional, for collectors of the folding knife.
20130726010612-mininavaja-nontronhuesode-cereza4-web.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Brilliant little things those. Can you imagine the coppers trying to cart you off for the "illegal" butterfly knife.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Brilliant little things those. Can you imagine the coppers trying to cart you off for the "illegal" butterfly knife.

I was wondering that too. Strictly speaking (as far as I can see) the butterfly knife is still illegal despite its diminutive size.

Lovely collection though!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was wondering that too. Strictly speaking (as far as I can see) the butterfly knife is still illegal despite its diminutive size.

Lovely collection though!

Yup as Dwardo and Huon say, strictly speaking it's illegal (and the mini flickblade that goes with it) so I don't take it outdoors (bar for those pictures). (So saying I often have an Opinel knife which locks in my pocket as it's as often as not my EDC. I know I can take the lock off, but I prefer the blade to not shut on my digits.:eek: Hopefully my advanced years, clean record and the fact I'm rarely in a populated place will keep me safe though I'm obviously not advocating that others follow suit.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Yup as Dwardo and Huon say, strictly speaking it's illegal (and the mini flickblade that goes with it) so I don't take it outdoors (bar for those pictures). (So saying I often have an Opinel knife which locks in my pocket as it's as often as not my EDC. I know I can take the lock off, but I prefer the blade to not shut on my digits.:eek: Hopefully my advanced years, clean record and the fact I'm rarely in a populated place will keep me safe though I'm obviously not advocating that others follow suit.

I have a few old butterfly knives, flick knives and the like, fun to play with but mostly useless as a functional knife aside from being a weapon. Usually the steel us absolute pants too.

They are very cute.

As you say though strictly speaking "size actually doesn't matter" in this case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE