Heads Up - Sharpening Station

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
The concern with things like that is replacement wheels and the wheel supplied looked rather coarse.

However for £14.99 you won't loose too much sleep if it turns out to be a lemon.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I would consider using it on HSS Chisels for wood turning but i wouldnt put any of my decent carving tools anywhere near it. There is a reason a Tormek is the price it is. A bit of wet and dry and some elbow grease will see you right. Unless youre a sharpening stone obsessive like I am.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Nope, but i saw it and handled it. It looks ok, the diamond wheel is very fine, and you just have different slots to slide over it. Two things stopped me wanting , 1) how do you replace the wheel, and 2) having had and seen these parkside sharpening thing before (drill sharpener) they are not usually designed for even meduim use. If you want to sharpen one small item a month and take a couple of hours over it it may seem like value, but my estimation is that it would quickly fail being asked to sharpen anything that required more than a polish. Thing is with diamond is that you have to cool it, and a little wheel like this willburn quick, like diamond tile cutters etc. The wheel its also very lightweight so no heat dissapation. A polisher, but quite a versatile one.

https://www.westfalia.net/shops/too...s/wet_sanders/449153-electric_wet_grinder.htm

This for anything even near grinding

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Less than $5 3M fine automotive finishing sandpapers, some cereal box cardboard and a piece of CrOx honing compound ought to round out all your fine sharpening needs.
I know it sounds silly but it's simple and for expensive wood carving tools, it's enough. What you whack with your "carving axe" is up to you.
2K grit paper isn't costly. Box card is free.

I own all kinds of freehand sharpeining and honing things. In this day and time, I can equal the waterstone results in 5 minutes of careful, freehand sharpening effort.

All these systems work really well. But, you cannot buy a shortcut. Pick a system. Any one, which one, doesn't matter. Learn how to make it fly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE