Levison wood rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I thought that too, there appears to be a support crew somewhere behind the scene's ..........

He has had in the previous series, Walking the Himalayas. Can sometimes see was carrying a two way walkie in that show. And see an aerial sticking out his messenger bag in this.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Ever the sucker for a good day pack, I went and bought one - I can't remember its name but it has side pockets and a 32-litre capacity. I took it off to the Brecon Beacons for a try out. The weather was pretty grim: snow still lying higher up, a strong wind with driven rain.

Although I wasn't carrying a full load, the pack was very comfortable. The pockets on the hip belt were a real benefit, providing an accessible home for snacks, 'phone (in a waterproof bag) and compass. The side pockets are very roomy and will happily swallow a 1 litre water bottle with ease; the space behind the pockets could be used for any number of things. The shoulder straps were gently contoured and added to the overall comfort of the thing.

It is a well made pack but, with the model I chose, the lid system is a thing I would question. The drawcord cinches down the whole thing and you then place the metal hook in one of the daisy-chained loops on the front of the pack. With the pack only partially filled, this does not work as well as it might. I think I will need to tweak the set-up a little to ensure that you have a secure closure when the main compartment is partially filled.

The metal buckles are a pleasing idea though in a strong, gusty wind and with increasingly numb fingers, I found the waist belt buckle a bit of a fiddle to do up. Equally, the chest compression strap, which uses a similar hook as the main compartment lid, did feel like a bit of a fiddle. I'm sure that a good deal of this is down to me being unfamiliar with this arrangement; further practice should make the closures work with greater ease.

The canvas material of the pack is certainly attractive but will also benefit from an additional coating of, say, Fjallraven's Greenland wax: it does not keep out the moisture in the way that a synthetic bag might. I usually keep the various bits of my kit in separate dry bags and, on this occasion in South Wales, I'm glad I did.

So, is it style over substance? I'd say it was a bit of both. I like the clean, functional design; I like the idea of using a modern take on a classic rucksack fabric; I like the theory of the metal buckles and hooks. But, certainly for my use in the U.K. - days out and woods-based overnighters - it does need a few tweaks and greater familiarity to make it work as it should. That said, I think I am going to enjoy getting to know it better as it is a beautifully made piece of kit.

Oh, and I have just remembered my rucksack's name: it's Fraser... for reasons best known to the good folk at Millican.

Hope this helps a little.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE