Let's Go Shrimping!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Having seen Hugh last night have a go at shrimping I was overcome with a lemming-like urge to do the same. The fact that I know my dad has a shrimping net exactly the same as Hugh's has only steeled my resolve!
But.
Do shrimps have a particular habitat? That is, big long sandy beaches or rocky beaches? Does anyone know of any particularly good beaches in Kent for shrimping? Are there any good shrimping techniques beyond pushing the net over the sand?
Any good shrimping websites?
You get the idea.
Cheers all.

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
lol i remember that.
seriously though if your worried about pollutants etc i read somewhere about catching crayfish and i suppose this advice applies to shrimp as well, just keep the shrimps you catch in a bucket of clean water for a day and they will flush out any crap they have been eating.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
lol i remember that.
seriously though if your worried about pollutants etc i read somewhere about catching crayfish and i suppose this advice applies to shrimp as well, just keep the shrimps you catch in a bucket of clean water for a day and they will flush out any crap they have been eating.

Or to be sure you could give each one colonic irrigation!

Jim

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
Wahoo, a question I can help with.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.324444,1.375608&spn=0.012095,0.028839&t=h&z=15

Pegwell Bay - This is where my grandad used to take me & my mum shrimping, the bay is silt / mud and never let us down. Its also a common area for bait diggers and they can often be seen from the nearby nature reserve wandering around with bucket and fork.

There is a little stretch of free parking on the same side as the petrol station near to the bus stop - but watch for pot holes. From there you can walk out and shrimp away till your hearts content. Might be worth wearing an old pair of trainers - thinking back thats what I did.

If you do go there then make sure you study the tide table ( there is one on the bbc website i think which is quite easy to read ), because the tide comes in really really quick and I don't want you to get swept away :(

Hope this helps,
Phil.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE