Leicester /Leicestershire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seraphim

Dec 19, 2010
Ratae Corieltauvorum
Hello the forum,

I've been wondering if there are any woods in leicester/shire where one could respectfully practice bushcraft (even if not overnighting etc.) without getting a telling off? I've learned a lot from the forums and would like to practice some of the skills you chaps (and chapesses) take for granted. I've a little one so can't really make it to the weekend meets as me and the mrs both work and it's the only time we can spend just as a family (at the moment), and wouldn't know where to start in coming to a meet anyway as I have no real bushcraft kit, just my brain for what it's worth as firewood!

Is there anywhere in Leicester/shire that is amenable to this or is this the only county without available woodland?!?!

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
try looking on google maps for a small coppice near you and as long as you don't light a fire or cut trees down you should be ok. you could just use normal camping kit after all it is camping just in woodland normally.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
If you look at google earth, tis amazing how deforested Leicestershire is, considering we're supposed to be part of the National Forest! Theres a fair bit of woodland around Newtown Linford/ Ratby area ie NW Leicestershire but I've not tried wilding it up there.... ohhhh beware Groby Pool, that's Dogger Central apparently ;) I'm SE Leicestershire and tis big hunting country down here, all the woodlands are used to raise birds for shoots and the farmers are verrrrry unfriendly to ANY disturbance, its all 'gerrorf moi land afore I shoot ye'! You could take all the family to a meet or is that a no-go?!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Agree with all that Sally said.

I got permission to go occasionally to a nearby bit of wood by:

• identifying likely bits of wood on the map
  • knocking on nearby doors/writing letters asking for permission/who the owner was

My advice is (eg):
  • emphasise "no trace"
  • offer to tidy up (other people's) litter etc
  • don't mention fires till you've got some kind of track record/relationship with the owner/person giving permission

seraphim

Dec 19, 2010
Ratae Corieltauvorum
Thanks for the responses! I don't think the family would be quite up for a trip to the woods, little one is only small and is at 'eyes in the back of head' stage (apparently they stay that way until their 30's!) I'm north of leicester so newtown linford/ratby is just up the road as are woods like sheep hedges etc but I though you weren't allowed to go roaming around council owned woods etc.? Yes I know about 'dogger central ' after hours, my old shooting club is just round the corner from there! Not the kind of place I wish to get my chopper out so's to speak!

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If you are not overnighting what is wrong with Ratby Burroughs? You are doing nothing more than picnicking after all with wood chips or whatever.

seraphim

Dec 19, 2010
Ratae Corieltauvorum
my only concern about ratby Burroughs is its very busy, again not the kind of place I wish to take a knife/ axe etc.. for dear of upsetting other users. need to find somewhere a bit more out of the way I think!

drowso

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester, UK
I have the same problems - Braunstone based, but places in Leicestershire that aren't either extremely busy or have some seriously angry farmers are pretty hard to find.

Jammylodger

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Leicester
Hello to you all,
I'm very new to this forum ,but did stumble upon this thread. I live in Leicester very close to drowso by the looks of it, and can honestly say I've never once struggled to find anywhere to set up an over night camp in the woods. I did the whole google earth thing and the area above Groby is so vast that you can happily set up here. We are a group of 3 who go quite often and have camped in some great places in this area, and have only ever met 2 people out walking their dog in the morning as we were packing up. When we first started out we were very nervous of running into angry land owners, but after several trips can honestly say the worry was not necessary. we always respect the surroundings and avoid places where pheasant pens etc are present, and obviously don't go near to the parks etc.
If any of you want more info then please get in touch and I'll be only too happy to help.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Hello,
I am based in Leicestershire and looking around the Hinckley area for somewhere suitable. I have been using google maps and sending emails, the next stage is to get out there in person.
One idea I havent seen before which I am going to try is getting to the local farmers markets. We have a bunch in the area and I believe it will be a good chance to network with people to hopefully find a good spot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE