Legs and Bum!(is this allowed?) What do you wear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Having just been out up the Downs (Duns - Yes I know the origin stuff - pedants) and on the beach, thoroughly trashing a good pair of so-called army lightweights and got soaked in the process, the question is what do you guys (and that includes women in an inclusive world) wear as trousers?
I am looking at waxed thornproofs, but would be grateful for the experience of others.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
personaly i ware shorts all year round when im walking in the woods or anywhere else.. doesnt hold moisture close to your legs, and as long as your core is walm all is well.. this might only be fesable in the sunny south down here in devon though :rolmao:

if i am sitting by the fire at night or such like and i am not moving i will put on some cotton type basic walking trousers and occasinaly ware thurmals in me sleeping bag if its really cold.. dont know that this what you were looking for but no one has replyed all evening thought i would drop my 2p :wink:

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Ok gonna post my choices, but they are just my preference.
When I'm walking in the summer I wear either shorts (craghoppers) or lightweight walking trousers.In the winter I wear Paramo trousers.No need for waterproofs as they are waterproof as well.In the woods I wear a pair of dark green sallopettes I found for sale.They were designed for snowboarding,but they are waterproof,have padded bum and knees and are totally abrasion resistant.Summer in the woods it is just my cotton walking trousers.Hope this helps
Geoff :wave:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
dont you find that Salopets.. and/or practically anything that is waterprof makes a lot of noise as you walk, or is this no an issue?

what are Paramo trousers like? any links pics? :wink:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
cheap trousers (by that I mean £5)
I can't stand waterproof noise, if it's really colddamp or snowing then a pair of ron hills DXB under the normal trousers sort it out. They are semi waterproof (work the same as ventile) so are really good for snow. On there own they wont stop major down pours but if they are under another layer they hold out very well.
Mountain resue thought my dad had the best trousers for the job they do when he went in his motor bike leather trousers. thornproof warm breathable, waterproof and easier to move around in then you might think. Down side is they retail for about £90

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I wear craghopper trousers... the ones that the legs zip off of to make shorts... and I don't really care if they get wet as they dry really quickly and I always have a spare pair.

My jacket is just long enough to keep the contents of my pockets dry in a downpour and same as tomtom as long as I keep my core body temp up everything else is fine... to be honest, I'm usually too hot anyway regardless of the weather.

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
beachlover said:
Having just been out up the Downs (Duns - Yes I know the origin stuff - pedants) and on the beach, thoroughly trashing a good pair of so-called army lightweights and got soaked in the process, the question is what do you guys (and that includes women in an inclusive world) wear as trousers?
I am looking at waxed thornproofs, but would be grateful for the experience of others.

When I'm out and about in the great outdoors I wear shorts when its hot (i.e. 3 days a year), Ronhills for most of the year and Paramo trousers in the rain/snow. I suppose the Ronhills are my favorites because they're fairly cheap and appear to be pretty indestructible. They do however tend to make yer bum look big and sadly I seem to have a fair headstart in this respect :cry:

simon

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Fjällräven do a great range of waxed thornproof poly/ cotton trousers and other stuff. The beauty of using the wax (they sell a 'Greenland' wax which is a paraffin/ beeswax mix) is that you can vary the waterproofing by how much you apply. And for summer you just wash it out! You could do this with any other poly/cotton trousers I guess also.

They have 36 different styles in their current product range I saw so something for everyone :). Check them out here:

Fjällräven -Products

Some like the Forester range have 'silent' hydratic liners under the ply/cotton waxed outer like the Ash model. I have never tried those so can't say how silent is silent. Others like the Barents have additional reinforcements on the knees and bum which is handy for scrabbling around. The Greenland trousers are a very popular model.

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Hi Guys.as requested Tom Tom here is the link you require for Paramo gear.I have to say it is the best gear I have ever baught for hill walking and wilderness walking, also they are soft shell and do not make a noise like regular waterproofs.Read the section that explains how it works,it really is the best ever.Some people say they get to hot in it but I have never had a problem.I used a velez smock and the cascada trousers to climb Ben Nevis via the carn mor dearg arete in 80 mph winds and rain.Not a leak didn't get cold at all and all I had on undrneath was a helly hansen lifa top. :super:
www.paramo.co.uk

Geoff
Ps the sallopetes are non russtley stuff and very hard wearing, great for the woods.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Nothing high-tech. Just a very old pair of cotton trousers. :roll: I definately need a new pair, they're almost falling apart. :shock:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
A lot depends on what I'm doing & where I am, when I used to spend lots of time in the mountains its was Ron Hills or a set of Vander Salopettes, in summer my Fjallraven Greenland Jeans.
For out on the moors or bushcraft, where your trousers are likely to get trashed British Army Lightwiegths are ideal, cheap (£5), fast-drying and hard wearing.
The bottoms will get trashed if used in thorns & briers, so I always use strong canvas gaiters.
The 65/35 polycotton mix is a very good fabric for outdoor use, a lot of industrial workwear manufacturers use it, and so you can often pick up very reasonably priced, non-military looking trousers that are ideal for bushcrafting.
I got a tan coloured M65 copy trouser for £10 from one such outlet a couple of months ago and they are proving to be a very good buy.
Neil

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Thanks for all the helpful comments guys.
Seems to me like it's £100 for the paramos, or cheap army jobs and some continuing discomfort.
Aaaaggghhhh! Xmas savings looking more precarious by the minute :cry:

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Paramo's are certainly good, altho' I run hot and find them too warm, but they are synthetic so you might want to go for the cheapo polycotton if you're going to be near a fire.

Ted W

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
tedw said:
Paramo's are certainly good, altho' I run hot and find them too warm, but they are synthetic so you might want to go for the cheapo polycotton if you're going to be near a fire.

Ted W
True i've got a few burn holes in my £12 lightweights if they were £100 id be well miffed!!!! as long as there quick drying and comfy and cheap then there good for outdoorsy stuff, i've snagged up on barbed wire also when i've been out shooting imagine tearing the butt out of a £100 quid pair of paramo's :yikes: :cry:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE