Army Surplus lightweights in use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
I don't have any army trousers, they're all civvy ones

My favourite two walking trousers are Montane Terra pants and Haglofs Rugged Mountain pants. I really like the fit on these, the Terras are much lighter and therefore dry much quicker, but they're both fairly water resistant

And what I also meant to say is they both come with long leg size options, so they're actually the right length!

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Old school, lightweight and leave your thighs free to move and breath?
I know exactly what you need my friend...

IMG_7418.JPG

No need to thank me, honest. :)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Sadly I have done what I hate doing, followed the trends/crowd and Not worn my lightweights for years. Thinking back they were the most practical and Comfortable ( You have Got to Get the Right Size for You).

Still wear RonHills for running, never found anything better to prevent sweat rashes and the newer versions by other makes just look too much like a pair of tights on men.

Must find my Lightweights now, Heard Ray Mears used to like them before going label and Chris Caine wears them still. Two well known outdoorman.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
The trick with army trousers is to get the ones that actually fit as opposed to the ones which have waist sizes you think you would fit... It take a 34 Waist in jeans but would probably be a 36 or maybe a 38 in green lightweights! It's mainly to do with the high waist, which is necessary if you are going to wear a belt around your waist as opposed to hanging of your hips. Most modern pants have a waist lower than your "real" waist.
I always thought L/wts were great, along with Norgie shirts, Helly Hansen furry fleeces... Still have my Ron Hill treks I had on my expedition leaders course in 1991... Rambling now, but classic kit!

Jul 23, 2013
England
'Trousers, men's, lightweight' weren't really designed for use in the field, they were a comfortable and reasonably smart looking trouser for normal daily use in barracks: too much synthetic material for use as combat trousers - they would stick to you if they caught fire.

A better bet would be the old style DPM tropical combat trousers, which has a much baggier cut and a drawstring waist, or even the old 'OG' denim trousers, although I always found them a bit heavy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I loved my old lightweights - button down belt loops, metal adjusters et al :)
Get a pair to fit and they are great :)
They must be the ones with a thigh pocket though - not the modern rubbish...
I dislike the modern "hipster" cut of cheap outdoor trousers - a waist should be at your waist not letting your erse hang out and making a belt rub your hips raw!

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Army lightweights are fine most of the time, but being polycotton, have been a bit sweaty/clingy for the past couple of weeks. The metal adjusters are a bit of a pain, and the belt loops do tend to come on done, but overall good value for money.

The best system I've come across for waist adjustment is the one used by the Dutch DPM trousers http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...ng/genuine-dutch-army-issue-heavy-639432.html , which have velcro adjusters on each side at the hip, and bascially you get the size snug, and put the velcro together. Unfortunately, they are very camo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE