Army Surplus lightweights in use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Hi Bushcrafters,

I am currently living it up in the rough bounds of Knoydart for my summer holiday. I've been trying out a pair of army surplus trousers: olive green lightweights, like what the paras used to wear when they won back the Falklands. I bought them a while ago in a desperate bid to look 'old school military' and wanted to see how they performed in the field. They performed in a word: badly. This is how they look:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300581321...ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=54&ff19=0

They come with belt loops and metal waist adjusters like something out of the 1930s. The trousers are best described as high waisted as they sit somewhere around my nipples. They are cut narrowly on the bum and thighs (probably with a skinny 20 year-old squaddie in mind rather than a 40-something lard ****.) Maybe I'm kidding myself I have a 31" waist. I decided to not bother doing them all the way up. I pull the fly zip up half way and tucked the belt loop/nipple pinchers over so they sat on my hips. Much more comfy.

Walking up hill in them adds at least another 20 per cent of effort per stride as the poly cotton material clings and pulls on the thighs. But they do dry very quickly after getting wet. They were literally soaked yesterday after walking through waist high bracken in pouring rain and soon dried out with a combination of body heat and wind.

I wouldn't buy another pair but I would consider cutting off the high waist and turning them into a lightweight pair of trousers to wear around camp.

Tomorrow I'm experimenting with free thighs. I'll be wearing a pair of running shorts. If it gets wet I'll slip over a pair of waterproofs. The horseflies are evil here at the moment so I might get bitten but I'll have some freedom of thigh movement at least.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Also, I want to add that Goretex is next to useless in hot, humid and raining conditions. Ascending I simply sweated too much for the membrane to cope so I soaked my shirt through and the inner of the jacket was also as soaked as the outer. It was pointless wearing it. On the return journey I put my Goretex jacket away and walked on in my sweat soaked flannel shirt, undoing the front buttons to increase the cooling breeze on my bare torso like Chris Froome climbing Alpe D'Huez. I've realised that there is no solution to getting sweaty wet when ascending, unless you ascend at the pace of an advancing glacier. I am now resigned to being wet through and take solace that at the top of the pass or Munro the wind will dry me out. And that includes my useless lightweight trousers.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I've always liked my lightweights too, more so than the combats of the 80s and 90s. Lightweights and windproof all the way.
Each to their own though.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thumbs up for lightweights:) Darren, sounds like your in denial about your true waste size mate, get a bigger pair and try again or have you tried Craghoppers?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...They were literally soaked yesterday after walking through waist high bracken in pouring rain and soon dried out with a combination of body heat and wind....I'll be wearing a pair of running shorts. If it gets wet I'll slip over a pair of waterproofs. The horseflies are evil here at the moment so I might get bitten..."

Never mind the horseflies man what about the midges? Knoydart in late July they should form a thick cloud around you. :)

I used to wear lightweights before I discovered Rohan trousers, I liked them and still have a pair from twenty odd years ago.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I got really fed up trying to find a pair of lightweight trousers that have me freedom of movement and had enough cotton content not to make me itch.

My Craghopper Kiwi's are great walking trousers but not designed for squatting and kneeling in the dirt.

After buying and sending quite a few back I bought a pair of Helikon SFU trousers off eVilbay. They have had a couple of runs out now and I have to say I am pleased with them so far.

Not old school though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh if you want to go old (well Falklands era) school military on the hill then Ronhill Tracksters LINK are the way to go. Every off duty soldier that used to come into the shop was in a pair of them usually with either a Buffalo type windshirt or some incredibly bright Berghaus fleece.:) (Though mind you it was mainly Commandos around our parts and not Paras.)

Seriously though although they've fallen from favour in the fashion stakes they are a good hill trouser, quick drying, non flappy, muscle supportive though they do lack pockets.

Always found the build quality on British Army lightweights left something to be desired and the cut strange to say the least.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
^^^ +1 what he said.

I wear my tracksters for running in winter - will have to try them out for walking.

SWMBO was only saying yesterday that an old pair of lightweights I was wearing while painting were very high waisted. They are level with my belly button! I find them alright fit wise but prefer the DPM soldier 95's.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
^^^ +1 what he said.

I wear my tracksters for running in winter - will have to try them out for walking.

SWMBO was only saying yesterday that an old pair of lightweights I was wearing while painting were very high waisted. They are level with my belly button! I find them alright fit wise but prefer the DPM soldier 95's.

And Tracksters were then replaced by Tinga Tinga Pants and Lowe Alpine Berber fleece. with Merrell moccasins. Please let my memory fail me, please.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes sorry, we're in a silly mood this morning.

Do find the lightweights very tight in the thigh and as they're meant for folk humping stuff around on Shank's Pony I find the restrictive nature strange. Always found the German pants a better cut.

Though saying the best lightweights I ever had though some may not like the cammo pattern (though they do come in plain green I'm sure were these.) LINK

Sorry again,
GB.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Oh if you want to go old (well Falklands era) school military on the hill then Ronhill Tracksters LINK are the way to go. Every off duty soldier that used to come into the shop was in a pair of them usually with either a Buffalo type windshirt or some incredibly bright Berghaus fleece.:) (Though mind you it was mainly Commandos around our parts and not Paras.)

Seriously though although they've fallen from favour in the fashion stakes they are a good hill trouser, quick drying, non flappy, muscle supportive though they do lack pockets.

Always found the build quality on British Army lightweights left something to be desired and the cut strange to say the least.

I was out on Ladhar Beinn today in Knoydart. I opted for a pair of running shorts for ease of thigh movement combined with a pair of goretex gaiters and a pair of Scarpa hiking boots. Not a pretty look but very practical. No thigh friction, plenty of lower leg moisture ingress protection plus abrasion resistant qualities when slipping down scrambles on my a**e. While walking I described a pair of Ron Hills to my friend. They are truly a design classic: rugged, quite stretchy; quick drying and reasonably wind proof. No wonder countless servicemen bought and wore them for many years. My old man still does. And I will be buying a pair come winter.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
^^^ +1 what he said.

You are a classic old school military man and no doubt. Total 'non style' style. Form follows function. Ron Hills are good for lounging, running and walking and never fail to look stylish, especially when combined with a singlet and a pair of Hi-Tec Silver Shadows.

I'm gonna buy a pair of DPM soldier 95s as they look roomier than my extra tight, Simon Cowell waisted lightweights.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Yes sorry, we're in a silly mood this morning.

Do find the lightweights very tight in the thigh and as they're meant for folk humping stuff around on Shank's Pony I find the restrictive nature strange. Always found the German pants a better cut.

Though saying the best lightweights I ever had though some may not like the cammo pattern (though they do come in plain green I'm sure were these.) LINK

Sorry again,
GB.

Good God, those tiger stripes are hideous. I'm going to stick to my Ron Hills or Alan Partridge running shorts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQNzLBTCEDI

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
So today I eschewed the OD lightweights in favour of something that ACTUALLY WORKS!! I wore the hideously mountain un-hip combo of running shorts and Outdoor Research Goretex gaiters. Not a cool look, but oh so comfy! My shorts were quick drying which meant the early morning rain lashing my body and upper thighs soon dried off, as did the water I soaked up slipping down scrambles on my backside. I had complete thigh freedom. I cannot stress enough how much being free of material drag on the upper legs enhances the hiking experience. I was at least ten per cent more efficient (other estimates may vary) with every step.

I also tried out a trekking pole. Just one, mind; we don't want to go crazy. The stress it took of my ageing knees really helped and the extra point of contact allowed me to distribute my body weight better to take the strain off my legs as a whole. I don't think I'll be doing hills again without a pole.

Last edited:

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Never mind the horseflies man what about the midges? Knoydart in late July they should form a thick cloud around you. :)

Not with my secret combination of a base layer of Smidge with a top coat of Skin So Soft. The little blighters stay well away. The horseflies are a different matter. The locals say they have been particularly vicious this year. Vicious wee beasties.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE