Legal advice needed, regarding cats!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Putting it simply, about 6 cats frequent my garden daily. All neighbouring cats with no collars or owners that I know, and they've been wripping into bin bags, crapping in my garden and today I saw one trying to kill my wifes baby rabbits.

SO, can someone please refer me to the section of law regarding my rights to get rid of them?

I understand it isn't as simple as shooting them, but I'm still unclear on what I can and cannot do and I can't find the law online.

I don't want them on my property, or anywhere near my animals. I've had 2 rabbits and 1 guinea pig dissapear from their runs over the last few months and it was clearly an animal of some kind either snatching them or trying to kill them and leaving their broken run open so they escape.

thanks for any help and advice.
up.gif

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Not legal advice as the best person to offer that would be a Solicitor, but a few ideas in this thread that i started earlier this year http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90815, out off all the ideas presented, the two best ones were coffee grounds and Lion poop, since we started using the poop and coffee grounds, we have, touch wood, not had a probelm

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
http://pictures-of-cats.org/Laws-on...es-and-animal-rights-law-enforcement.html#UK_
click on the UK link
I think you can only improve/ensure security of bin bags rabbits etc
i.e its up to you to ensure the security of your possessions to the level you wish

I had a similar problem so I just got two cats of my own who guard their territory A dog would be even better
It is only a nuisance so don't get too obsessed about it; that kind of stuff chews you up disproportionately

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
It is only a nuisance so don't get too obsessed about it; that kind of stuff chews you up disproportionately

it's a bit more of a nuisance when your garden is covered in Cat poop and kids get covered in it too or you dont see it, tread init and then walk the stuff all over the garden.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I've done my bit to ensure they are safe (my animals), but without having to shed out money I don't have on lavish and excessive protection for them because of filthyc ats just seems wrong.. and I know I'm not the only one who detests these vermin endangering or vioalting their property.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I bought one of these, connects to hose pipe, squirts water when some passes. It worked brilliantly protecting my raised beds. Once the cats were 'educated' I didn't even have to connect it up!!

Scoops

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I don't have a hose, or water/electorical soruces in my garden. Ny garden also isn't attached to my house so I can't leave my dog out all hours to chase them. One cat clawed my dogs face the other day, I kindly let it go without giving it my shoe!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too dislike cats - they kill birds in our garden carp everywhere an "sing" under our windows at night - however I tolerate them as they keep the rats down!
Next door to us has detered the moggies but suffers with rats (they even climb their apple trees to eat the fruit!) - I know which I prefer of the two evils!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I too dislike cats - they kill birds in our garden carp everywhere an "sing" under our windows at night - however I tolerate them as they keep the rats down!
Next door to us has detered the moggies but suffers with rats (they even climb their apple trees to eat the fruit!) - I know which I prefer of the two evils!

atleast you can have fun shooting rats! but these cats seem to be exempt from all other animal laws! I'll go to costa coffee next week and ask for coffee grounds, failing that,well..

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
best non lethal /legal method i found is to use a fishing bait type catapult loaded with rice,doesnt hurt them at all but they hate the scatter all around them,in a week theyll go else where,failing that think dog!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
best non lethal /legal method i found is to use a fishing bait type catapult loaded with rice,doesnt hurt them at all but they hate the scatter all around them,in a week theyll go else where,failing that think dog!

already have a dog, one cat clawed his face the other night as it was wrecking my neighbours bin bags. Also, I have to walk to my garden from my front door, about 15metres so I can't just ealve my fat dog out to bark at them.

catapult and soft loads might be a fair option for all parties concerned.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
My Grandfather god rest his soul used to let the cats come to him in his garden. When they used present their hinds like they do when you stroke them he'd smear mustard from a back of a spoon on their bum. They'd never return after that.

I'm not advocating, I'm just saying :nono:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Can you use electric fencing, I know it costs money...

Old CDs hanging on wires, an area for them to use instead of random spots around the garden, wire mesh like chicken wire in the usual places so they can't scrat it up. Local zoo for some tiger poo to really scare them off

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
electric fencing isn't an option. I have chainlink fences and no power supply in my garden.

I've dug out cd's to hang and I'll sort some coffee. any other tried and tested humane methods?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just use a car battery - electric fence runs off 12V - most cats appear to dislike the sizzling zap.......and accompanying background sound of laughter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE