Left zip or right zip (if you sleep on your side!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I think this is the final question I need to solve in my sleeping bag quest!

If you tend to sleep on one side and have a dominant side, should you:

a) Roll on to your side, but keep the bag on its back?
b) Roll with the bag so that the zip/zip-baffle is under you (hot air rises).
c) Roll with the bag so that the zip/zip-baffle is on top of you (more comfortable).

I'm probably over-complicating all of this... :p

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA

c) Roll with the bag so that the zip/zip-baffle is on top of you (more comfortable).

:lmao:

Huh? :confused:

All I can say is what I do. I sleep mostly on my left side so I prefer a bag with a zipper that I'm facing when I sleep. I roll inside the bag and prefer that the bag stay where it is so that the baffle stays down and covers the zipper. Sleeping on top of the zipper doesn't sound like fun to me. :)

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands

Try and slide round in your bag as there will be a slight compression of the bag filling on the bottom, also if your bag moves with you the hood will be more open to let out valuable warm air along with the neck/chest baffle. I tend to slide round in the bag as i have done it the other way and found my back getting colder. :D

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
I recently tried out a new sleeping bag and a new hammock at the same time.

I found it easier to just roll the bag with me than to try to roll over in the hammock and leave the bag in place.

I have a left handed sleeping bag and sleep on my left side a lot, but did not find the zip a problem at all.

I think it all depends on the individual and the equipment you have. We are all different, so experiment and do what works for you.

Some of my best lessons have been learned from my biggest mistakes, all you can do is try things out and work out what works best for you.

Regards

Phill

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I always thought you were supposed to move with the bag so the hood etc stays where it needs to be.

I`ve no idea what happens once I`m asleep but I can`t imagine it`s very controlled :rolleyes:

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
The idea for zips is that it's on the opposite side of your dominany hand. That way it's easier to zip up or down (depending on your dexterity (or sinisterity)). I'm right-handed and foolishly bought a RH zipped bag (many years ago, hmm...maybe it won't be 4 season anymore: more gear to buy!) and always struggle with the zip in both right and left hands. Or maybe it's just me...

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
I decided on a RH zip on the basis that I am left handed and probably sleep more often on my right (facing a RH zip) than on my left. But I could have gone either way. Thanks for the opinions!

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I think you need to be seriously cack-handed not to be able to undo a zip on either side with either hand.

I prefer to sleep on my left side (it only just wins out) so I got a zip I didn't lie on, and I try to move the bag
with me (otherwise I know I'd end up facing into the hood with the zip behind me :))

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Since a zip is most likely going to let more heat out than the opposite side of the bag which has no zip, and assuming you have more natural insulation (fat etc) on your front side, it would be best to have the zip on the side you face when you are lying on your side.
Having the zip above you would be a less ideal situation to keep the heat in the bag and having the zip underneath you is simply very uncomfy. Not to mention some bags have less insulation on the backside because you would usually just flatten it anyway.
Combined with the fact that opening a zip which is located at your back is extremely difficult, the answer for any sane human being must be a) Roll on to your side, but keep the bag on its back AND face the zip
I rest my case!

In real life however, I tend to do whatever feels comfortable at the moment ;)

scallywag

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2008
Europe
Personally, I don't care where the zipper is - I tend to move with the sleeping bag. Generally, I don't control the way I sleep. How could I? I'm asleep then :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE