Leatherworking - Brass Eyelets

Got a bit of a dumb question here, but I got some brass eyelets and I am not sure how to close them correctly. I got a pair of pliers specifically for them, so far I have tried them singley through a piece of leather but the back just gets crushed, I have also tried two together (one either side of the leather) which does appear to work but they do not close all the way. I have 1mm thick leather and have about 2mm of brass extra and the finished eyelet can slide back and forth in the hole and its a pain for catching your hands on in the pouch.

I guess I probably need another tool to do it properly

Im probably not explaining it properly but I can't think how else to describe it, I will try and post a pic later on. :eek:

I think my brains having an off day.

Ok here is some pictures to illustrate what I mean. One thought occured, perhaps these are not designed for 1mil thick leather.

As you can see the eyelet isn't fully closed.
IMG_8792.jpg

IMG_8791.jpg

Tool Im using
IMG_8793.jpg

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
which way did you insert the eyelet in the plier? - there is a right and a wrong way......

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
just tried some and it seems to work better if you have the 'pointy bit' on the eyelet facing the pointy bit on the plier ie to NOT mount it on the prong if that makes sense :rolleyes:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Put the eyelet into the hole of the leather with the flange part on top.Now get the pliers with the pointy bit underneath and close.The top part of the pliers pushes the eyelet down on to the pointy bit and rolls or flares the tube out.job done.Hope this helps.

Put the eyelet into the hole of the leather with the flange part on top.Now get the pliers with the pointy bit underneath and close.The top part of the pliers pushes the eyelet down on to the pointy bit and rolls or flares the tube out.job done.Hope this helps.

Hmmm kind of works but seems to distort the shape of the eyelet after applying a bit of force.

hornbyben

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 13, 2008
Sydney
I haven't tried setting any eyelets, but I had a similar problem with press studs. As brass is quite soft, I solved the problem by using a metal saw/file to shorten the shank so that it is the right length for the thickness of the leather. Just a thought but it might work for you too.

leon-1

I take it that you are using F4/200 sized eyelets with the junior plier set.

You can use these with a washer on the back.

As g4ghb has said the correct way to use these is to have the stem of the eyelet facing up so that the protruding part of the plier crushes down into it.

If this is not working for you then the other option is to use a setting tool, the correct one for that size is T16 and you basically give it a good solid whack with a hammer / mallet.

The process runs, punch the hole, place the eyelet through the hole and then fit the washer over the the stem of the eyelet. Place the setting tool anvil on the ground with the washer resting in it and take the setting tool itself with the prong sticking into the eyelet and strike heavily, this should do the job.

I hope this is of use to you.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE