Leatherwork Finishes.......What do you use?

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hi guys and gals

I've been doing quite a bit of leatherwork recently, might pluck up the courage to post a couple of pics at some point.

Having used a couple of different finishes to varying degree's of success, my question is Which finish do you personally prefer and why?

I'm looking for specific Brands too as i want to try a couple of new finishes as the ones I have tried to date haven't given me the results i'm looking for.

Thanks

Dave

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
i usually use a coat of neatsfoot oil, then finish with supersheen. though i just ran out and instead bought some resolene. you have to water it down 50/50 but it means it will last me twice as long and is supposed to be a better product according to the folk on leatherworker.net. mixed results so far with the resolene as it pulls up some dye and can leave streaks which i found out the other day so i bought a spray bottle to apply it

i also use carnauba cream every now and then but as Lee kindly pointed out it is not a finish such as supersheen or resolene just a protective wax cream.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I use resolene but TBH I don't like it. It can leave a streaky or blistered finish if you don't work quickly and it's hard to rectify if it goes wrong. Apparently it's much better if you spray it on.

M

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've considered giving resolene a go but heard plenty of horror stories so apprehensive about it.

I just use Ko Cho Line at the minute. Love the smell and feel of the leather afterwards.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I've used Resolene previously and found it leaves a plasticy feel to the leather. Not diluted it though so this might be why lol

Might just get some neetsfoot oil and use that

Dave

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
When you have decided on a finishing product, if you want to spray it on. There are these proucts available from Identity store.

Preval Power Unit. 2091-00 £8.19
Preval Container, 2092-00 £2.51

Vat and delivery extra on both items.

No link with company, just a very satisfied customer.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Depending on the product, I tend to use either fiebings resolene or sno seal as the final sealer. You need to practice a bit with the resolene to get good results, but I've found it the best all rounder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE