Leatherman Wave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

nppulse

hi, what are peoples thoughts on the leatherman wave
leatherman_wave.jpg

is it any good?
i am in two minds if to buy one or not. :roll:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Very good piece of kit. You can put alot of pressure through the handles onto the pliers with confidence.

Perhaps even better than a SAK for alot of things :yikes:

Pricey though. I got mine from America when my brother in law went over there. Cost me about £55 - £60 if I remember correctly with the hex drive accessory as well.

Bargain, :super: well cheaper than here anyway.

Cheers

Mark

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I've got one and would say the best leatherman I've seen. I have a flair (with bottle opener) as well. They are much cheaper from the US or on ebay.co.uk. The belt loop on the leather case is way too thin for all but the thinnest belt IMO.

The serrated blade works great with a fire steel as well. I've now got a nylon pouch which fits the wave and an army model fire steel.

Bill

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I hate to be a naysayer here but the Wave has never been my favorite and I'm a great leatherman fan and have been ever since the first one was made. I have to admit though, that it is widely popular. I just felt that it was never as robust as the other models. My favorite is till the Pulse, although it lacks a saw.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
And they certainly CHARGE you for it - too! :yikes:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

For that price I'd want gold handles and a teas maid inside it too!

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I have had 2 leathermans over the past 16 years. The first was the standard version, which was used and abused for many years. It finally broke trying to remove the cap from a 50 gallon oil drum. It was replaced under warranty. I won the wave in a compotition 4 years ago and have used it constantly,

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I like it also. I have been carrying the Wave for 4 years now. I lost one in a snowboarding-accident and immediately replaced it. There may be better multitools around, but I like this one a lot. The one-handed opening facility, good locking and solid feel make it a great tool. The only wish would be a better quality steel for the straight knife.

-Emile

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Never tried one, but for that price I would never but one. :wink:
Guess I like being a little conservative and therefore prefer the SAK... :biggthump When you say: Swiss army knife today, everyone knows what you mean. If you say: Leatherman or Wave, some might not get it. :shock: :wink: :)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it is good, and well balanced as they say. not so good that i didn't sell mine. i know of several guys that have had failures with their's. the leatherman warrenty service has always been exemplary.

i still prefer a swiss tool. i'm hanging on til the new sexy swiss tools come out in the autumn.

the question to be asked with a multitool or not, is "how often do you need a fullsize pair of pliers?" i use my PSTII all day every day at work. out side of being a maintenance engineer, the tweasers, pen, pin, corkscrew, and a load of other bits and pieces on my swiss champ are used much more often.

cheers, and.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I carried my wave and accessory tool kit for quite a while, but about a year ago I downsized to the Juice version. I found the smaller pliers handier at work and the lighter tool much easier on the belt. I still miss the accessory tools every so often, but for the most part prefer the Juice CS4 or currently the XE6.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've had a wave for about 3 years now and it pretty much never leaves my belt. About the only problem I have with it is that I've busted the locking mechanism on the straight edged blade, keep meaning to send it back but then I'd be without it for a while. Its used pretty much every day and gets a lot of abuse at work, home and in the field.

They're definatley expensive and scissors could do with being improved but apart from that I really couldn't consider being without one.

Now the question is do you lot prefer Leathermans or Gerbers??? Never tried a Gerber myself.

AntarcticFire

Oct 3, 2003
Guildford, Surrey
www.uhmc.co.uk
I'm absolutely gutted as I moved house recently and now I appear to have
lost my Wave :cry: I know I had it somewhere before I moved, but I've no idea
where! :?:

I've been watching eBay the last few days and the new Charge Ti seems to be
going for around £50-£65 + P&P, which is cheaper than a new Wave so I might
be tempted to get one of those instead.

I originally had a Juice XE6, but it seems to flex a bit too much when using
the knife or pliers, and in the end I simply didn't trust it to stand up to much
without breaking.

N

nppulse

on the wave, the two blades lock aswell right? aswell as the saw and file.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
nppulse said:
on the wave, the two blades lock aswell right? aswell as the saw and file.

The normal balde and the serrated blade lock but not the file or saw. At least on mine.

The serrated blade has a few groves on the top next to the opening bit so you can distinguish it from the normal blade without looking and then open it one handed. Great feature I think.

Bill

Leon

Sep 14, 2003
Lincolnshire
tenbears10 said:
The normal balde and the serrated blade lock but not the file or saw. At least on mine.

Bill
:shock:
How old is your Wave, Bill?
I've had a few variants of the Wave over the years and the four main blades locked on all of them.
My most recent model (18 months) has the grooves cut into the serrated blade, which I agree is a great modification.
Both saw and file lock on this one too.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Maybe a case of answering the post without thinking. I'm at work so I will check when I get home. The wave is about a year old so it sounds like it does have 4 lock blades but as I say it's at home.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE