Leather Workshop.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Its nice to see young people are taking an interest in this art, and hopefully keep it going.

Nice one mate

Cheers Topknot

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Fabulous Eric, as usual. You must feel a great sense of achievement after that workshop. Couple of questions. Was it in someone's house? What was the music you used on the YouTube? goodjob

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Fabulous Eric, as usual. You must feel a great sense of achievement after that workshop. Couple of questions. Was it in someone's house? What was the music you used on the YouTube? goodjob

It was in a guest house we rented for the entire weekend. Max of 10 people on the course. The money raised from the participants paid for the house, my air fare, leather and other expenses, plus some pennies to bring home. We did two weekends back to back so there was only one airfare.

Setting up an enterprise such as this is dodgy during a resession, so we decided to start slowly and not take on unnecessary debt. Basically each course pays for itself in advance so there is no capital outlay.

The music was a track on an Irish folk DVD I have - can't remember the name right now.

Our entire ethos is to make the experience a holistic one with craft skills combined with education to give meaning to the objects being made. Also we chose a very old house in which to run the courses as this helps put it in context. Part of the experience is also to create a social family atmosphere, sharing fun, joy and happiness throughout the whole weekend.

The same fundamental values will be true for all the other courses we will run, leather, weaving, spinning, embriodery, blacksmithing, bead and quill working, flint knapping, pottery etc, etc...

Eric

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Hi Eric,

so, would be be running any around the UK? I'm sure there'd a plenty of takers.

Possibly. Once the Bulgarian end is up and running, we shall see about doing similar stuff over here. I might do a few leather workshops independently in the meantime along the same lines if I can find a relatively cheap house to rent (probably off season) in a nice location and can gather at least 10 people willing to pay a modest fee to cover the costs.

Eric

rancid badger

Possibly. Once the Bulgarian end is up and running, we shall see about doing similar stuff over here. I might do a few leather workshops independently in the meantime along the same lines if I can find a relatively cheap house to rent (probably off season) in a nice location and can gather at least 10 people willing to pay a modest fee to cover the costs.

Eric

What about the forest classroom here at Chopwell, Eric?

I've been toying with the idea of organising something to do with leather working, with you leading it, for a while now.:cool:
Steve

pm inbound

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE