Leather Wellies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've been seeing a few of what i can only describe as 'Leather Wellies' on TV a bit recently. They look like Leather Knee length boots. A few on the program about a zoo with kate Humble and a guy from Northern Ireland who does dog obedience, featured on BBC 1's 'The One Show' with Christine Blakely.

Anyone got any experience or recommendations?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I was looking at the Hunter one's for £170 and thought they were expensive. Maybe i'll have a go at making my own!:rolleyes:

Good idea, Get yourself a pot of 'liquid latex body paint' from your local bondage shop or ebay and paint your feet. Two coats is more than enough to cover up. Or so I am told it’s about £4.87 per 500mm. two or three coats is needed if you expect rough treatment. ;)

Edit
rough treatment on the painted on welly’s I mean :p

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Good idea, Get yourself a pot of 'liquid latex body paint' from your local bondage shop or ebay and paint your feet. Two coats is more than enough to cover up. Or so I am told it’s about £4.87 per 500mm. two or three coats is needed if you expect rough treatment. ;)

Edit

Don't wish to sound out of order Tad but you seem remarkably well informed!;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Got some rubber wellies from Wilkinson's, £4.99 and they are green even;)

£300 for wellies, thats crazier than £90 for a shirt:eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The game keeper on the farm wears top end Le Chameau wellies - but he wears them 10 hours a day seven days a week two seasons of the year. Worth it for comfort with that kind of wear

Red

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I wear several pairs of wellies from cheap hard wearing 15.00 ones to a pair of Dubarry boots. The leather kind of thing you're talking about.
Very, very comfy and worth the money if you're wearing them alot.
I have not been too hot nor cold in them at all and they shrug off brambles like it's not there. Even barbed wire only makes a scuff. Some of the top end rubber wellies would have several holes in them by now! :eek:

Yes, lots of outlay but I'm not expecting to replace mine for a while and I feel much 'fresher' in them at the end of a long day organising beaters, guns, pheasants and everything else on a shoot day!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm seriously thinking about the outlay.

As I'm about to have a young setter again, I just know I'm going to be doing MILES in them.:D

If the new settler costs only half what my 1st grandson is costing me, you can't afford to buy posh new wellies mate;)

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
When I lived down south and it was drier I used to live in Rigger boots. They're leather, cost around £40 from the agricultural merchants and have steel toe caps. It's too wet around here and wellies are the only solution; long ones in the winter, short ones in the summer!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I can attest to that, the whole Wood family were wearing wellies at the EMCCU Meet a few weeks back and swore by them. I never knew you could get short wellies for summer use!

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Shorties aren't easy to find, hence the current ones being a rather garish luminous yellow :eek: The best ones I ever had I bought in Sweden a couple of years back - looked like funky baseball boots - shame you can't buy those over here.

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire

Edit

Quite important to shave your legs first or you can't take these boots off easily......I'll get my coat.

J

jackmcmanus21

I've been hard pressed to find a good pair of wellies. I think they'd be worth spending money on for a good pair

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've got a pair of leather Musto wellies with a gore-tex liner, they're bomb proof and comfy to wear day in day out new they are about £170 but I got mine on ebay for £65....

John Norris have a few sizes of the Hunter e-vent leathers down from £200 to £80:

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/ty_232-bargains/906-hunter-torlundy-mens-leather-boots.html

Cheers,
Graham

The Hunter ones on the link look quite good Graham, but only in sizes 8 & 11! (No 9's)

Crikey! Just realised that was my 1000th post!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE