Leather tooling questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've got bags of upholstery grade leather kicking around and use it for knife sheaths etc, my question is can any leather be tooled? I'm guessing not deep grained, soft leather, but for example can calfskin with very little grain be carved or tooled? Its quite stiff too compared to the thicker upholstery stuff.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey Mick,

If you are refering to the nice crisp tooling you see done by a couple of the great makers on this site, sadly there arent that many types of leather that actually hold the tooling well.
Vegtan is the leather of choice it could be either pig or cow, or even goat but its the tanning that makes it hold the tooling, also you want a stiff type of leather rather then a soft and supple type as if the leather rolled, folded and creased the tooling will fade.
the way toooling is primarily done is by resetting the structure of the leather by weakening the solvent that holds the fibres together with water, and then reshaping it "tooling it" into a shape or pattern etc, by forcing it in the leather.
This works very well on vegtan, Chrome tanned is terrible at this though and I can imagine most other leather arent that likely to perform well. Especially upholstery leather as it usually tanned in a way to avoid wear, moisture damage or deformation.

However the calfskin could be worth a shot, just take a small piece wet it and press or whack something hard/shapelike into it, and see if it holds that mark?

Hope that helps,
Yours sincerely
Ruud

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi Mick,

Only vegetable tanned leather can be tooled I'm afraid. Most different types/cuts/weights can be tooled, it just depends on what method of tooling. For example, 2mm+ veg tan shoulder can take swivel knife cuts and plenty of heavy bevelling for deep tooling, but thinner stuff like kips doesnt have the depth or strength for cuts but can be more simply and lightly embossed with a modelling spoon like in my video in this thread

Edit: Ruud beat me to it ;)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cheers gents! Won't go to waste either way it'll get used was more curious and wanting to have a go than anything.
I'll definitely try it out on the calf skin although I wasn't aware it had to be wet worked. No doubt whatever the result, good or hilariously bad will be shared here!

rancid badger

Go to Leprevo and ask. (You'll have to dodge the fire engines and collapsing buildings on Cross Street for the next few days )

They'll give you all the expert info you need to get a start and better still, you can rat about in the scraps bin and get yourself some decent sized bits of veg tan ( the flesh coloured hide) for £3 a Lb to play with.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Go to Leprevo and ask. (You'll have to dodge the fire engines and collapsing buildings on Cross Street for the next few days )

They'll give you all the expert info you need to get a start and better still, you can rat about in the scraps bin and get yourself some decent sized bits of veg tan ( the flesh coloured hide) for £3 a Lb to play with.

Thanks for that RB I'll pop my head in at the weekend :) seems like veg tan is the way to go. I have no idea what I have in a way, apart from its from a custom furniture manufacturer so anything left of the hides is discarded (some of it to me) not used on other items. So sometimes I get pretty big sheets of it

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
+1 to what Rancid Badger said. I love going into LePrevo for advice and a rake through the bargains. sadly it's hour and a half drive for me so don't get over there as often as I'd like

Not far from me like. The calf skin does seem to have taken an imprint of bigger shapes but don't think fine detail would do well. Back to the drawing board it is!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE