Leather tool fold

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi all,

After more hours than I care to add up, I've finally finished the tool fold I've been working on. I made it to hold a few of the misc tools I tend to take on camp with me - spoon knife, sharpening stone, small chisel set Etc. I've also put a little pocket in it to take smaller items - not sure what, probably a needle/thread/beeswax, that sort of thing.

Folded up:
hand.jpg

Unfolded:
unfolded.jpg

Opened up:
open.jpg

Detail of the pocket:
pocket.jpg

The sides of the pocket are very soft leather (pig I think) allowing it to expand or contract as needed. The main leather used was a free offcut from a local belt manufacturers, its quite thin - approx 1.5mm and suits the job really well.

All comments welcome,

Thanks for looking,

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And thats praise indeed coming from singtek (who is far too busy to be playing on BCUK and should be off crafting his own lovely creations....especially a very long one...with a buckle.....:D)

Lovely work John

Red

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
John Fenna said:
Lovely job! I wish I could find off cuts that big!
John

Thanks all, it replaces a tatty bit of denim I used to have them wrapped up in, so is a vast improvement!

The offcut was very lucky, the guy was clearing out his workshop 'cos he was moving site, there was a bin outside with a sign saying 'free leather, help yourself' so I did! Most of it was chrome tan, but there was a fair bit of this thin veg tan, mostly in long narrow strips.

The odd bit cut out from the top left it where I had to tidy up a rip in the piece of leather.

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
WOW, i love this, am gonna make me summet like this, after the 101 other projects i have lined up!!! lol
:You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_ :You_Rock_

tp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE