Leather Tool Advice needed.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi all,

I want to get into making Leather artifacts , so I thought i would start with making Belts as presents to get my eye in and experiment a little before I move on.

So for a complete newbie can someone give me alist ( and links if possible ) of what tools i should get in ? I'm guessing Le Prevo will have the lot but i just want an idea of the minimum i need to get started , also for hard working belts what leather is best ?

So ;-

Tools ( Links )

Material ( Type of leather and thickness )

Many many thanks to all the really talented people i hope will point me in the right direction.:)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
to start you need a supply of good strong needles, an awl, a sailmakers palm, a sharp craftknife a rotating hole punch and a setting tool for rivets and another for poppers.

you dont need much else.

a strap cutter and thong hole punches might be a later option.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have to confess that I've spent more than I probably needed on tools that are all useful, but not necessarily essential, but as you get older you start to realise that you can't take money with you when you go.

I'm no expert, but I can tell you what I think are the very basics that you need.

•Awl and handle (for making the stitch holes)
•Saddlers' needles (e.g. size 4) and 18/3 linen thread
•Sharp knife (a stanley knife will do well)
•Edge burnishing can be done with an old piece of cloth (e.g. jeans). Most people recommend Gum Tragacanth for edge treatment before burnishing but you can get away with PVA glue or even spit.
•Edge beveller - almost essential for rounding the edges of thicker leather before burnishing.
•Adjustable stitch groover - almost essential to make a groove for the stitches to sit in, so they don't wear.
•Pricking iron (expensive) or overstitch wheel to mark the stitch positions. Some people just use the prongs of a fork. If you are serious, the pricking iron is much better than the overstitch wheel, as the overstitch wheel can be difficult to keep in a straight line.
•Google - there are some good videos on youtube and ehow.com about techniques. And of course BCUK.
•Dye if you buy raw veg-tan and some sort of finish (e.g. carnauba cream). However, some people dye using shoe polish.
•I've probably forgotten something.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE