Leather stamps and vinyl for etching

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi Gang,

So I designed myself a nice logo and I would love to start stamping it into leather and etching it into metal.

I have the drawings on paper but wondering what is the next step.

I guess im after a company who can turn this drawing into a metal stamp for leather, and a company who can make this drawing into a good few vinal stickers for etching metal.

Can anyone recommend me such companies within the UK, or even better in or around manchester?

All help is greatly appreciated.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I believe you can use this stuff to make your own etching film or there is this interesting tutorial that I have been meaning to have a play with......

as for creating stamps for leather you can get them from le-prevo (has a relativly large minimum order though) or you could ask this nice guy here, who is a dab hand at making 'plastic' ones and may be able to help.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Ohh and I also wanted to ask your advice as Im a leather noobie.

I was wondering if I could stamp a standard Granfors axe sheath with a logo? or has that leather now been treated and wont take much to stamps?

I mean the sheath you get as standard with a gransfors axe? Anyone know?

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I would have thought so - I put my old sfa sheath in my 'stamp clamp' last night meaning to check it a couple of hours later and forgot it till now.......

I'll post an update if I remember when I get home / take it out tonight

Gailainne

Life Member
Perfect!

Has anyone tried the press and peel stuff from maplins with good results?

I did this with that stuff on pewter

CIMG0039.jpg

You need a really good surface finish to get it to transfer properly tho.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
How long would you recommend leaving the stamp on for?

it was on for about 24hrs in the end and stamped fine

I normally 'case' (dampen) the veg tan leather I use before stamping and clamp for about 30 mins (30 sec's would probably be fine but i like a crisp and deep mark)

the tinslecat

Dec 6, 2010
leeds
hi there! just stumbled upon your site after finding Kerne's stamps. ive been playing around with salt water etching - i know a couple of you had mentioned the press and peel stuff. ive been having good results twith it so far. here's a link to a step by step guide i put together on the bike forum i post on.
http://www.dirtybobbers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1946.0
hope its not a problem posting that there - thought it might help you out. any questions on it please feel free to ask away.

oh - and if you look at some of the latter pages there are some more etchings that ive done and they are better - lessons learned and all!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE