So those wooden fabric stamps work on leather...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Made my pup a leather collar today and I've got some wooden 25mm stamps that I got off Ebay.
Wet the leather down, fired it in a woodworking vice (yes, I'm English so it is Vice and not Vise) with the stamp and the leather collar.
The little guy just wants to play with everyone and dead soft so I used the stamps that fit which were insects.
If I'd had more space I would have made em a bit more random with the positioning but I was limited and it just looks a bit cockeyed. Should have either been straighter or mmore random.
Unlike Mohammed Ali my dog floats like a bee and stings like a butterfly.

20210926-143017.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just the opposite, sir. Quite the opposite. The collar is unique and clearly hand made. Not from a factory of rice burners.

More than 50 years ago, I had some clothes made by a little old fellow, displaced from WW II. He even taught me to tie a bow tie (which he made to match a dinner jacket.) He said it was really important to leave one wing at a bit of an angle. The defect lets every body know that the tie is not simply a strap-on.

I have the same respect for the collar.

Reactions: TLM and demographic

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Oh I realised that maybe I should have showed a pic of the finished article.
I kind of skived the end thinner so it was less obtrusive for the dog and when I riveted it up I kind of formed it would an offcut of wooden post I had lying about so it curved and better conformed to his neck shape.
No stitching, just rivets and I'll see how that works in the longterm.
20210927-180510.jpg

Usually I can't stand ornate stuff on everyday items but I just liked these stamps and wondered if they would work on leather.
20210927-180527.jpg

20210927-174842.jpg

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Thanks, I've just had a look at it and the rivets (nice solid copper rivets with decent copper washers) are holding just fine.
Early on I kept putting some beeswax boot waterproofing/conditioner on it, and tailed off as tome went on.
Once a week for a month, once a month for a year type of thing although not regimented like clockwork.

I made it with a good bit of length to account for the pup to grow and I would say it will last well into adulthood.
He's just over eight months old now and although I expect he'll bulk up a bit (currently he's about 22 kilos and about 22 inches to the shoulder) I'm fairly sure it will be fine.
Mind, I've already had to cut an inch off the end where my daughters dog has been chewing on it as they curl up together.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE