Leather rucksack!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushmeister

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Leicestershire
Ok - CALLING ALL YOU LEATHER WORKERS!

I am going to have a go at this rucksack thing - there are some leather hides on evil bay for ~30-40 quid. I was planning on buying an awl, and some artificial sinew. Then make it up as I go along!

Anyone know anything about working leather - can I get away with a general purpose awl, and a large eyed blunt needle? Anything better to use than artificial sinew? Anyone have any patterns for a simple rucksack?!?!

Cheers,

BM

Bushmeister

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Leicestershire
Well I think I have seen the thread of his rucksack - but it shows no 'making of' piccies or how he went about it - I think I can probably just 'make-up' a pattern, but having never worked in leather before thought I might get a bit of advice before wasting 40 quid of nice hide!! :eek:

saddler

Forager
Jun 16, 2009
Haddington, Scotland
I'd use waxed cotton as as opposed to artificial sinew

Get a proper saddler's awl (diamond shaped) as opposed to a round awl

Size 2 needles will do ya

May be able to find a pattern in among my reference books - what style were you aiming for?

Jon

Bushmeister

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Leicestershire
Hi saddler - thinking any style which would be traditional, i.e classic alpine pack, but probably best just sticking to a big comfortable bay with straps!!!! - Especially as never done one before!

PS thanks for the tips on kit - why waxed cotton?

Cheers,

BM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE