Leather Rose ...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Not particularly bushie ~ but it's leather and 'sort of' flora :eek:

It's only the first make, so the patterns might still need tweaking a bit and the construction techniques worked on. What do you guys think?

Thanks for taking the time to look.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love the idea...but I have to say that reminds me of something not quite rose smelling :) ...could the petals be a little thinner?

Great idea...and well made...its just......

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do really love the idea - and its nearly there - but I'm thinking the edge of rose peatls are thin and don't quite turn in like that - more turn out

pink-rose-bloom-rose-28812436-640-640.jpg

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i think with a bit more tweaking, and maybe skiving the edges, this would look fantastic, for a first go, im impressed bud.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I'm thinking the edge of rose peatls are thin and don't quite turn in like that - more turn out

Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated :approve: . The aim was for more of a fully open Hybrid tea :cool: , but yes the curve was more than expected :) . With time and practice comes technique :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
i think with a bit more tweaking, and maybe skiving the edges, this would look fantastic, for a first go, im impressed bud.

Thanks Lee :D . Unfortunately, forming the curves would destroy the skiving :yikes: ~ but I know what you mean. A tweak which will make its way in is to double notch the outer edge of the outer set of petals to cause the wave / ruffle you see on many roses. I think it's going to be less forming and try again ...

The big problem, which only became really apparent on making, is how much to form the petals ~ and that's an experience thing :eek: :( :) ... onwards and upwards :cool:

Many thanks for the input so far ~ the good words and the advice, it's all appreciated :cool:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Thanks Lee :D . Unfortunately, forming the curves would destroy the skiving :yikes: ~ but I know what you mean. A tweak which will make its way in is to double notch the outer edge of the outer set of petals to cause the wave / ruffle you see on many roses. I think it's going to be less forming and try again ...

The big problem, which only became really apparent on making, is how much to form the petals ~ and that's an experience thing :eek: :( :) ... onwards and upwards :cool:

Many thanks for the input so far ~ the good words and the advice, it's all appreciated :cool:
lost mate, i meant to thin the edges of the petals?... to get a more wavey effect.
when you wrap the last ones on, the end ones are not so thick, if that makes sense bud.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Looks good enough to eat.

Certainly a way of increasing the fibre in your diet :yikes: :rofl:

now that is bloomin impressive!

Cheers, we seem to be coming up roses ~ well it's a start, in time it'll happen :eek: :lmao:
:

lost mate, i meant to thin the edges of the petals?... to get a more wavey effect.
when you wrap the last ones on, the end ones are not so thick, if that makes sense bud.

The way the curves are formed on the individual petals would destroy the skived areas :eek: . The damage might not happen on a very lose curve though :dunno:, I'll have a play with a lose curve on a tighter, half open, rose to see what happens :D .

Very cool. No idea how the heck you would even start something like that. What you planning on doing with it?

How to start moved quickly onto 'why did I ...' :rofl: :eek: . If I can get a good result, that I'm happy with, at least one will go to a friend in hospital who likes to have flowers around but can't have them there due to the possibility of it causing issues to others. Plus ... swmbo likes roses >creep< >creep< >creep< :lmao:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Well from here its stunningly intricate work and a real show of skill. Yep it may be a bit stylised as an exact copy of a rose, but I quite like that. Love the way the petals round and have such smooth flowing lines.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
This mornings efforts ~ loser curves on these two and the second has seen an attempt to wave the edge and the addition of leaves (which has messed it up a bit :( ). Still not right, but getting there ~ tbh, I think the pattern pieces will require tweaking a bit ...

Again, thanks to all for looking and also for the input :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Well from here its stunningly intricate work and a real show of skill. Yep it may be a bit stylised as an exact copy of a rose, but I quite like that. Love the way the petals round and have such smooth flowing lines.

Many thanks, the original one was based ... gah ... not a dog or hybrid-tea rose ... the other one ... can't think of the name atm :eek: ~ the 'flouncy bouncy loads of petals and curls' one :rofl: :eek: .

Real nice looks like the topping from a cupcake. This made me spill my tea "Certainly a way of increasing the fibre in your diet"

:D :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE