Leather Rose ...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This mornings efforts ~ loser curves on these two and the second has seen an attempt to wave the edge and the addition of leaves (which has messed it up a bit :( ). Still not right, but getting there ~ tbh, I think the pattern pieces will require tweaking a bit ...

Again, thanks to all for looking and also for the input :D

Thats MUCH closer (for me), its the ability to see the edge of the petals in the follow up that says to me "rose" rather than "Mr whippy" :)

The one thing I would suggest for a tiny improvement would be to have less curl on the centre most petals - when you look at a real rose they stand almost straight up in the centre, curling more as they approach the outer edge

I really like the new one though - just being a purist as you did ask for feedback :eek:

Really enjoying this thread and hope my comments come over in the spirit in which they are intended!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Now that ones fantastic Phil. Nicely done.:)

Cheers Martin :D .

Thats MUCH closer (for me), its the ability to see the edge of the petals in the follow up that says to me "rose" rather than "Mr whippy" :)

Volcanic mud pool? :rofl: The latter two are made up without the outer ring of petals, which has helped a bit ~ the rose in the first post is about 2 1/2" across ...

The one thing I would suggest for a tiny improvement would be to have less curl on the centre most petals - when you look at a real rose they stand almost straight up in the centre, curling more as they approach the outer edge

It's all in the technique :) , it'll come with experience :cool: . The two biggest issues are getting the patterns in proportion to each other and forming to the correct level for each petal ~ forming is done prior to construction and then construction increases the curve of the form (if that makes sense). Again it'll come with experience ...

I really like the new one though - just being a purist as you did ask for feedback :eek:

Really enjoying this thread and hope my comments come over in the spirit in which they are intended!

Glad you like it :cool: and all input is very much appreciated and taken wholly and solely in the manner intended :approve: :thankyou: ~ like you said, it was asked for :D . My take on it is that, while the journey might have occasional moments of exasperation, if you can't laugh along the way what's the point of going?

Floribunda?

That's what I thought, but having looked it up to make sure I became even more uncertain ... :eek: . A few pics of grandiflora might have snuck their way into my search in order to confuse me :dunno: (a quick and easy target :eek:) ~ I guess that's what happens when folk fiddle and diddle with a plant for centuries :eek: .

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Blimey, lovey, they're grrrrrreat! Roses for your Rosie eh.... awwwwwwwww :)

The stylized charecter of the dark and paler brown ones is lovely, really artistic :) I kinda prefer them to the very lifelike red rose, they reflect the maker a lot more than the natural looking one. Very clever, lovely man!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Okay, this morning's efforts ...

In keeping with the popularity of red for roses and with a more upright centre budding ~ completely different method for forming the petal curves too.
Still needs the addition of leaves and I might also add the outer petals to see whether I can work towards an open bloom ...

Thanks for looking through and thanks for the input :D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE