Leather restoration question. I've done neetsfoot, now...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MarkinLondon

Nomad
May 17, 2013
Bedfordshire
I picked up a surplus leather ammo pack that's worn on a belt that was in very dry and awful condition. After a few days of applying neetsfoot oil, it's now supple and dark brown. My sense is that it's found its life again.

But now I'd like to waterproof and find a a shine, and faced with the following decision: Should I use shoe polish (which has wax and will buff out to a shine), Dubbin (which, in my experience is the magic stuff), or Renaissance Wax (which I've only used on metal, but know has application for everything.) I have all this stuff in the house, but can also wait for a delivery of pure fresh beeswax. I'm sure that all these are fine decisions, but a bit of insight from the leather folks would be helpful.

I'm leaning toward shoe polish because I can shine it up, and it should have decent weatherproofing properties.

Any opinions?

Mark

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE