Leather pouches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
I found some leather lying around the other day. It's probably about 2 foot squared. I'm thinking I'll make some little leather pouches to carry bits and bobs like fire lighting equiptment, salt and pepper etc, but I dont know where to start.

Does anyone know of any sites that show templates that will show me how to cut the leather to start off? :confused:

cheers,
Bunn :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Try making a design up yourself, do it in card or paper first so that you know how big it will be when finished. A simple bag can be made by cutting out a circle and placing holes around the outer edge of the circle at even spaces. Thread some thong through the holes and it will draw up to a small pouch ideal for flint and steel fire kits with a bit of charcloth or tinder fungus.

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
If the leather is a little stiff, whats the best way to make it more flimsy? Just scrunch it up and play with it, or soak it or something? Its only thin but looks like it will be quite hard to use

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
its white leather (not that the colour matters) and id say its probably about 2/3mm thick. I'm just looking to start with a simple pouch i guess. draw string.
any recomendation of where to start would be appretiated.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Sounds like vegetable tanned leather. I think the simplest pouch you can do is cut two rectangular piece of leather, Round the two bottom corners on both piece, mark the stitches on one of the piece and put them together and ***** the stitch hole. Then start stitching. One problem with this is the stitch holes on the bottom side might not line up.

You can mark both piece of leather and ***** them separately. Just make sure the holes line up.

If you wet the leather, it will be soft but after it dries out, it will be harder then before it gets wet. I suggest you cut, stitch and then crumble it when it's done.

Hope that helps

singteck

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
i get ray mears books from the libary and in 'bushcraft' and 'essential bushcraft' it shows u how to make a waterproof match box out of leather. i made it from scrap bathroom plastic flooring. it was easy and fun and i use it, although the top is not tight enough to stay on.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Jerky Meister said:
I do medieval re-enactment and if you want leather pouchs or have any leatherworking related questions go to
http://livinghistory.co.uk/forums/
and ask for designs, there are people on there who can answer any question you have on pouch making, there are people on there who make leather water bottles, mugs etc they will also be able to send to links to designs etc
martin

martin ? is that the martin I met last week at the NLHF just before the corset parade?
chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE