Leather phone case

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eagleman

Apr 5, 2011
Aberdeenshire
Part of my reluctance to get a smart phone was due to worrying abut breaking them. I had to get a smart phone for work so having bought a Sony Xperia Z3 that is waterproof etc I wanted to be able to protect it properly without buying a cheap Chinese leather flip case with no soul. I bought a cheap (£2.99) silicone coated base, sanded off the silicone on the face (otherwise the glue doesn't stick) and then glued a leather cover to it. I' pretty happy with how it turned out and I don't have to worry if I accidentally put my house keys in the same pocket!

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
top notch! i like the carving especially. :)

if you wanted a cheap way to finish the edges add some boot polish with an old tooth brush and melt it in with a lighter. a few coats and it comes up pretty well

Eagleman

Apr 5, 2011
Aberdeenshire
Thanks for the tips. I will give that a shot and see how it comes out. I did the carving with an old woodcarving chisel of my grand father had. Sharpened up as best I could. Actually looks better without the harsh light of the camera and will weather nicely. The dye also soaked in unevenly.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Looks all the better for the dye being uneven; that'll wear into a very nice case in no time at all :)

Wiseman

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
Leeds
Hi Eagleman,

I want to do a similar thing. Can I ask where you got your leather from and how thick it is?

Eagleman

Apr 5, 2011
Aberdeenshire
It was sold as 2mm from "leather and stuff", which is an ebay shop - search for veg tanned leather hide. As I have only ever bough small amounts at a time that is where I have tended to get it. It is already starting to soften up in the right places. Unlike the shop bought ones it should get better with time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE