Leather notebook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
I knocked up a leather notebook
Filofax replacement rings secured with brass Chicago bolts
A5 Filofax notepad pages so replacement is easy in the future
Flap used the raw edge of the leather, held closed with Sam Brownes
Will burnish the edges when I remember where I left the burnisher!

Not sure if I should continue the decorative stitching along the edge of the flap?....

6811D76A-D39F-4ECF-8D8A-596D05792C74.jpeg
BF0D2CF5-85E4-4B5C-A90C-A82276E5BABD.jpeg

C2AA9342-EE83-49C7-A5F6-8D3C78E7F9ED.jpeg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've seen similar from a couple running a company down south as a living. Earthworks journals iirc. The only difference is perhaps better quality leather. Not a criticism just a comment that a business running for 20+ Years will have better suppliers of leather. Especially since they've got an international direct clientele that come back to them. I digress.

It's a nice job you've done there and I for one would be happy to buy work of that quality. And I don't like spending money so I guess that's a compliment.

Reactions: paulnb57

camdeborde

Feb 17, 2020
UK
I think it would look even more amazing if you did continue the stitching, as it would emphasise the asymmetric line of the flap. But it’s also great as is... ;)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
I think it looks great, this might be what it would look like ( ish ) if the stitching went all the way round.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've just bought a travellers notebooks which might suit that style of cover. They use a fixed elastic band and extra bands to fix notebooks within the cover. You can remove and replace those notebook inserts and get various styles of inserts including zippered pockets and Kraft paper inserts that can hold receipts, etc. The number of inserts possible depends on the ability of the cover to hold them.

Initially three notebooks are held in then more get added by inserting the seem them through the bands. A bit complicated until you understand the insert method but very good idea. I find filofax style rings bend out of shape and usually you only get one of two ring diameters so infill paper is more limited. Plus writing in the opposite side of the rings to your writing hand isn't easy because the rings interfere.

The other good thing about this style of journal is you can easily make your own inserts with a stapler and relatively cheaper sources of good paper. Just fold, staple then cut to size before inserting.

It's just an idea.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Sounds interesting @Paul_B
The Filofax style suits me for this, it tucks into my Hidden Woodsmen Haversack for when we go to our woods, handy for jotting stuff down, things to do, or stuff to remember to take next time etc...

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sorry I'm a stationary nerd. Money is the only thing stopping me buying something like what you made.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE