Leather glove treatment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Ive just bought some lined leather gloves for winter and would like to protect them as much as possible, is dubbin an option to keep them in good, semi waterproof order ? Historically I have loathed wearing gloves due to lack of feel and grip but as the years advance comfort seems to be much more appealing! Any input gratefully received

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I use some leather grease, I don't see dubbin doing any harm. Just takes some work to rub in. Also rub it in well to remove the slick surface for grip n what not. Im gonna treat mine with tallipoika leather grease (leather saddle grease) and dubbin myself.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have endured more than 70 Canadian winters. I'm pretty good at it, -40C and warmer.

Really, really cold? Wear mittens with a leash cord up your sleeves to join them. Inuit style.
The more fancy beadwork the better.
Then when you have to take one off for dexterity, you never drop it in the snow.
My canvas-lined moose-hide mukluks are a dream to wear in cold and 24" or more snow.

Warmer like you? Lined gloves are nice. I have several pairs so some can dry while I wear others.
Several sprays with a silicone repellant is disappointing.
Anything waxy will soak in and discolor the leather, if that matters at all to you. Not to me.

Rain and melting wet snow will leach just about everything out of leather.
Hold them open, get them dried, THEN slop on the proofing into the dried leather.

All pairs of my unlined leather deerskin gloves are dirty on the fingers and palms. So be it.
Actually, this coming week will be wet snow, cold rain and probably -5C nights.
Time to dig out the flannel-lined blue jeans, too.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Dubbin will do. It is messy and sticky but fine. You might be better off just getting some leather dressing. I got a free sachet of wax from Hestra a while ago. Gone now, but when I orient myself better I am going to get a can of the stuff. It was good. Nikwax might be worth looking at. They got lots and lots of products, not just techwash :)

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
I use some leather grease, I don't see dubbin doing any harm. Just takes some work to rub in. Also rub it in well to remove the slick surface for grip n what not. Im gonna treat mine with tallipoika leather grease (leather saddle grease) and dubbin myself.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Never even knew leather grease existed ! Will give it a go cheers

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
I have endured more than 70 Canadian winters. I'm pretty good at it, -40C and warmer.

Really, really cold? Wear mittens with a leash cord up your sleeves to join them. Inuit style.
The more fancy beadwork the better.
Then when you have to take one off for dexterity, you never drop it in the snow.
My canvas-lined moose-hide mukluks are a dream to wear in cold and 24" or more snow.

Warmer like you? Lined gloves are nice. I have several pairs so some can dry while I wear others.
Several sprays with a silicone repellant is disappointing.
Anything waxy will soak in and discolor the leather, if that matters at all to you. Not to me.

Rain and melting wet snow will leach just about everything out of leather.
Hold them open, get them dried, THEN slop on the proofing into the dried leather.

All pairs of my unlined leather deerskin gloves are dirty on the fingers and palms. So be it.
Actually, this coming week will be wet snow, cold rain and probably -5C nights.
Time to dig out the flannel-lined blue jeans, too.
Thanks for your imput, had looked at silicone but now won't bother. Big minus temps are a rarity for me as in southern England, reading your reply has given me glove envy! Good call re the cord though, will put eyelets on them. Takes me back to when my nan sewed elastic to my mittens as a little kid, cheers

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Dubbin will do. It is messy and sticky but fine. You might be better off just getting some leather dressing. I got a free sachet of wax from Hestra a while ago. Gone now, but when I orient myself better I am going to get a can of the stuff. It was good. Nikwax might be worth looking at. They got lots and lots of products, not just techwash :)
Im sure i have a tin of nikwax somewhere will have to dig it out, now wishing id bought more pairs to try out different methods :( cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE