Leather dyeing advice neede

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I,ve made a nice leather belt all i need to do is dye it i want it to be a nice chestnut colour how and what will i use ?do i need to dye the back and edges and will the dye pass onto my clothes ?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Gill, as long as you use a good quality leather dye, and then finish the belt off with a wax or oil, you shouldn't get much in the way of staining.
Take you time using the dye, using even strokes one way then at 90degs and back again, for a good even coverage.

Hope this helps

Baggins

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have used Fiebings spirit based dyes which do tend to wear off until the dyed piece settles down. I have been told that the Fiebings oil based dyes are better for this.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Hi Gill, as long as you use a good quality leather dye, and then finish the belt off with a wax or oil, you shouldn't get much in the way of staining.
Take you time using the dye, using even strokes one way then at 90degs and back again, for a good even coverage.

Hope this helps
What sort of wax or oil buddy?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I use Fiebings Professional Oil dye - about four or five coats, in a range of patterns for even coverage. Then I apply neetsfoot oil, again about three or four coats, allowing drying time between each coat, follwed by mink oil and a day somewhere warm to absorb it.

I like the finish.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I like to use a mixture of bees wax and paraffin, gently heated and then soak the offending article. There are several other waxes and oils out there as well. As Dougster said, neatsfoot oil and mink oil are very good.
At the end of the day it's all about experimenting and finding out what you prefer.

Baggins

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE