leather dye

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phil-N

Nov 22, 2005
South Yorkshire
hello all
I've been lurking for a few months now and have been impressed by the things
you guys make. I thought i'd have a go - so i made a sheath for my knife {pic in gallery}. Since that i made a new sheath for my leatherman + a belt to put em on.
Problem is when i dye the leather i get blotches or streaks- wots the secret of putting the dye on evenly ?
Also do i need to seal the dye- will it rub of onto my clothes when i wear the belt?
Any help please

Phil

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Hi Phil,

Welcome to BCUK!

I am also a beginner in leather work having started using my first bottle or dye. Maybe the others would help you along.

All my leather are dyed quite dark to hide the blotches. I find that when I apply the dye and and let the leather absorb the dye until saturated, it's quite presentable. Of course like I say all my leather are quite dark. Can't dye it lightly.

singteck

leon-1

Phil, there are a couple of different types of dye, there is the standard Feibings leather dye and then there is the Fiebings professional oil dye.

With both damp the leather a little first, then using a cotton ball (sorry can't think of the proper name, but it is made from the same stuff as your T-Shirts) wipe the dye across the leather. Work in straight lines running in the same direction untill you have totally covered the piece, then move the direction of travel by 90 degrees and do the same, you sould end up with this ### sort of pattern. if you then change through a 45 degree angle and do the same again and then by another 90 degrees, that should give you an even covering.

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
One thing you have to remember with leather is that oil, wax or other contaminants will affect the dye process. Even oil from your fingers when you're working the leather can affect the dyeing process. There is a leather preparation you can get which I think sorts this out but I haven't used it, like singteck I only tend to dye in dark.

One tip is if you're using veg-tan leather dampen it first to improve penetration. Not too much, just run a damp cloth over it. You'll see the colour of the leather darken. Lastly, don't try to put the whole finish on in one go - use thin coats and build up to the colour you want letting each one dry a little first.

Thats about all I can think of right now. Good luck!

Phil-N

Nov 22, 2005
South Yorkshire
:You_Rock_ Thanks for the tips guys I'll let you know how i get on.
my next thought would have been a bath full of dye and just drop the item in !!!.
im using the professional oil dye.

Phil

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I think it is also important to remember that leather is a natural material and that is part of it's appeal.
I would also recommend getting hold of some surgical gloves to protect your hands if you're doing a bit of dyeing, as it turns out my hands are covered with a leather like material called skin, and this took the dye pretty well also. :rolleyes:

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi Phil,

Just had a look at your gallery and your work looks fine to me - I wouldn't worry too much about getting a 'perfect' finish (whatever that is), a bit of rugged charm is much nicer IMHO!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE