Leather Crafters, can I have your opinions please? Am I being too picky?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Hi all,
apologies if this thread is in the wrong place, I posted it here as I thought it would be seen by the right folks. Mods fel free to move it if you see fit.

So, I bought a leather document/ laptop satchel from an eBay seller (I know, I know. They're not all bad though as our very own Under The Stars Leathercraft can attest to!) and when I arrived I have to say I was a bit disappointed with it. So my question is: am I being too picky?

I'll list some of my issues here and I'd be interested in your opinions as there are some extremely talented leather workers on here.

Here's the bag in question:

First thing was this spot. Now I know leather has inherent imperfections, that's what makes it characterful and often more beautiful, but this to me looks like a drip of wax or something that's dropped onto it then someone's tried to clean it off:

And it's right in the middle section of the front flap. :(

Then there's the edge of the front pocket. fine for most of the way round but then look at the left side of the bottom edge!

not straight, uneven stitching and on the front of the bag too so very obvious.

on the subject of stitching; more than one missed hole, off the edges in other places and unevenly spaced all over the place:

Then there's the lining. Glued in (not in itself a problem) but not completely glued evenly, leaving 'bubbles' in the lining of the main compartment:

Or lack of lining; the front pocket has no lining at all and is very thin leather, meaning it's very fluffy inside as the suede side is not smooth at all.

finally the embossing round the edges of the front flap seems messy, multiple extra lines in places:

and doesn't meet in the corners or follow the edge around the corners.

Actually, finally finally none of the edges are burnished so it just has a slightly unfinished feel to it.

So, leather is a natural material, can be hard to work with, has it's imperfections etc... I get that. But am I being unreasonable to expect better than this? It wasn't the most expensive bag in the world, but it wasn't pennies either. It was supposed to be handmade, high quality, not mass produced etc.. and the add seemed to suggest and left me believing it was made in the UK but the more I look at it I'm starting to think it might be a cheaper imported 'handmade' item.

I love the design and size of the bag, it's the style and colour I want. It's just quality wise it's...... errrr..... disappointing. What do you guys think? Unreasonable expectations or have I been stitched up? B'dum Tshh!

Many thanks

James

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looking at that there doesn't seem to have been any QC at all :(

I'd be disappointed as well and would be sending it back for a full refund including P&P

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like a Friday afternoon job.
Nice materials and design just a shame about the CBA execution.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Def faulty.

I would be intrigued as to the cost of it though.

It was on sale reduced from an rrp of £51.99. Having looked for a bag like this for quite some time I finally found a design I really liked and was seduced by the price. Even at 'full' price it would've been much cheaper than any other I've seen. I guess the old addage is true, you get what you pay for.
Glad I'm not the only one to think it's sub-par. It's going back for sure.

I've got lots of pictures including measurements and close ups of the design.

I wonder if DreadHead, Angst or someone else fancies a commission? For a more realistic price of course to get a proper job!

James

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Irrelevent of the money, this is sub-par work IMHO.

While I am no where near as talented as some of the makers on here, I do quite a bit of leatherwork for myself and others, and I wouldn't even make a gift of something that shoddy. as said, I'd sent it back and be seeking a refund.

just my two cents.

Ste

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I dont make, but i have purchased a few leather bags. To be honest if that bag was flawless, you would have an absolute bargain. It would go for double that price if executed correctly.
I often like little flaws as a reasurance that its not machine made. Humans make errors. If i was you i would send that back asking for a better example. I would probably keep it to be honest, i just wouldnt purchase of them again. All said and done. Thats a nice bag that mate.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I dont make, but i have purchased a few leather bags. To be honest if that bag was flawless, you would have an absolute bargain. It would go for double that price if executed correctly.
I often like little flaws as a reasurance that its not machine made. Humans make errors. If i was you i would send that back asking for a better example. I would probably keep it to be honest, i just wouldnt purchase of them again. All said and done. Thats a nice bag that mate.

I wouldn't keep it. The missed holes of stitching I could live with but not the stitching running off the edge of the leather. Dodgy!

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
+1 to send it back
Probably is handmade BUT by someone a few thousand miles east of the Wirral ! Hence the price
A similar thing happened with wood carving years ago nobody over here could compare price wise with eastern imports even though quality was clearly better over here
Ho hum
Gary

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Send it back as it's obviously NOT as described - eBay rules and should be covered by PayPal.

Looks to me to be a cheap import or some amateur trying to pass their work as top quality. Probably in their eyes its spot on......

If you were looking to have one made you be looking a around 3 times the RRP their quoting.

Rich

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
It's unique, at a bargain price, I'd fix up any of the imperfections which might threaten the bag's longevity, and keep it.
It would be good to know what you paid - even at just over £50 I guess only second-hand/charity shops could compete.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
It was 25% off in the sale so I paid £39 +p&p of about 4 quid. If it was that same as the one in the pics on the listing it'd be ok as that one is very neat and looks good, and would've been a real steal! I'm guessing they import them, put the best one in the ad and sell the rest.

Thanks for your thoughts folks. I'd like to give them the chance to send a nice one, but to be honest I'm not sure I can trust them or be bothered with the faff if it too turns out to be iffy.

I'll go for a refund and put the money towards a decent handmade one from a known maker having learnt my lesson about apparent 'bargains'!

James

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
Personally I would approach the seller and let them know of your concerns, and ask for either another or a refund.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
I have emailed the seller and to their credit they immediately and without argument (on a sunday evening too) emailed me a pre-paid postage label to send it back for a full refund.

Can't say fairer than that.

cheers for your thoughts folks

James

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
I have emailed the seller and to their credit they immediately and without argument (on a sunday evening too) emailed me a pre-paid postage label to send it back for a full refund.

Can't say fairer than that.

cheers for your thoughts folks

James

Glad it is being sorted amicably.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
For a handmade bag like that (though well done) you'd be looking at £200+ easily..

That one looks to be rough work, very rough indeed.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
REFUND REFUND REFUND RIP THEM A NEW ONE, LEAVE NEGATIVE AND MAKE SURE YOU NAME AND SHAME! OPEN AN EBAY DISPUTE/RESOLUTION AND FORCE THE REFUND WITHOUT ANY FURTHER DISCUSSION WITH THE ************************************BLEEP!

to put it mildly.....

regards

Sonni

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE