Leather Craft_Show us what leather goods you have made past & present

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

YEOLDOAK

Jun 28, 2015
uk
Been a long time since I posted here too.
Some very nice work there. I hadn't done much leatherwork until the first lockdown, when I dug out the wooden molds and made some pouches.
Mostly as gifts for friends.

View attachment 65135
Small altoids sized belt pouch with lift thr dot snap

View attachment 65139

Zippo lighter pouch in 2mm leather.

View attachment 65140

Little pouch for a US type matchcase I modded with a firesteel mirror and compass. Kinda like an issue survival matchcase I saw once on the Internet.

View attachment 65141

Little front pouch on a neck knife.

View attachment 65142

Sak knife pouch with an embossed front flap. The stamp is made from brass wire soldering onto a brass plate screwed to an elm block.
Some very neat and tidy work there, liking it a lot : )

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Rough, but it will protect them and it makes the carver real comfy !

9-BA00131-6-DD5-48-B4-806-A-FA873868-E864.jpg

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Loved reading through this thread. If I wanted to get started and make, for example, a pouch or wallet, what would I need to get started at home? Without a workshop, so would need to all be hand tools.

Reactions: William_Montgomery

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Loved reading through this thread. If I wanted to get started and make, for example, a pouch or wallet, what would I need to get started at home? Without a workshop, so would need to all be hand tools.
not much tbh, ideally a self healing cutting matt (larger the better really) but a A4 size will work fine. sharp knife such as craft knife. blunt needles, you can use embroidery types but the eyes are swollen better off using actual saddlery needles by john james, go to their website get the phone number call them order 002 or 004 saddlery needles a pack is very cheap but resellers mark the price up alot. you can get cheap stitching irons off ebay/amazon or leather sites. watch youtube theres loads of videos showing tools needed but thats a rabbit hole... Youl have most of the basics at home without needing to purchase. Just remember any tools you buy for leather work they will need sharpening this includes hole punches or awls and anything else you see..
You will notice everone using a stitching pony, you can use a hard back book for this job if necessay or make something/purchase but this depends on the type of stitch you want to do its effectivly just a way to hold the leather enabling you both hands to stitch makes life easier.
Basically watch videos and youl see most crafters using basic tools, when you get hooked it starts costing. use reclaimed leathers avoid anything called "genuine leather" its the bare minimum grade allowed to be called leather.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Still just starting in leather work, but this is my latest creation in the brown leather. Sheath for my Knife research rasul, and an axe belt loop that can hold a fire steel.

I absolutely love the rasul, but didn't get on with the factory sheath....

IMG20231211183040.jpgIMG20231211183044.jpgIMG20231211183052.jpg

Going to make a wallet next

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Nice work there gra_farmer
Watch out if theyre hollow style rivets on the belt loops they have a tendancy to fail. Cant tell if they are or not.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Nice work there gra_farmer
Watch out if theyre hollow style rivets on the belt loops they have a tendancy to fail. Cant tell if they are or not.
They are, I was thinking about sewing it in, and then got caught up with the rest. Any recommendations that do not involve starting again?

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
They are, I was thinking about sewing it in, and then got caught up with the rest. Any recommendations that do not involve starting again?
Either keep replacing them as and when they fail or (I'd be inclined to) swap them out for copper rivets the ones you have a washer with (they appear to be quite pricey for what they are, however once you use them you dont regret the purchase) but you would need to figure away of setting them depending what facilities you have access to, once fitted thas long as the pien'd end is smoothe and has no burr it wont snag on anything.
You can purchase the setting tool from places like amazon think I purchased mine from there or was it the Joom ap? cant recall, was about £8 at the time.
Any method you can think of to fit the washer, even a drilled hole in the end of a wooden dowel would work, theres videos on youtube showing how to set them and youl soon figure a way if you dont want to buy the tool.
A metal bar to act as an anvil (flat, round even a long series socket) thats able to fit inside the sheath its only got to be solid enough to pein over and dome the end. The copper is soft enough to do this, as a retro fit. depending on how you go about it, you may need to protect the front of your sheath from getting marked by using scrap leather as protection.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Would be good to see if some of the W.I.Ps by experienced makers could high light and show not just the finished product but how certain elements of the various builds are done? steps to attach smaller parts , how burnishing is best achieved , all the little steps from flat leather to finished project?

Any takers?

• Haha
Reactions: Foogs and Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE