Leather covers for canoe paddles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Puchal

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2010
Poland, Warsaw
Hi all
I have seen one of those, use by friends of mine from kanu.com.pl. Decided to make a set for myself, to protect paddles blades during storage and transportation.
Not a fancy job. I used raw cheap leather, and oiled it with linseed oil.

I hope, you like it

DSC04896.JPG

DSC05473.JPG

DSC05475.JPG

BTW: before, I started to work on the design, I tried to google some ideas... Well. You better try yourself, what kind of results you will get, when you google text: leather paddle blade... Turn off the adult content filter before :-D

Last edited:
Mmmm...okay.

Fun project I guess, but the only damage my canoe paddles have ever sustained has been through use. Bumping sub-marine rocks, pushing off from landings, tossed on shore, etc. Storage inside a house and carriage in a vehicle to get to water hasn’t ever damaged them.

If I didn’t want a canoe paddle to get damaged I wouldn’t use it and hang it over the mantle. They’re a utilitarian item meant to be used, and use will inevitably damage them.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The worst damage I ever did to a paddle was icebreaking on the Neath canal.... but that paddle was lost at sea, along with a large section of canoe bow during an argument with the wake of the Fishguard Ferry and some rocks off Dinas Island...
I transport and store my canoes paddles in a padded padle bag ...when I remember...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE