Leather bins case (advice wanted) and some other stuff I've made

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eagleman

Apr 5, 2011
Aberdeenshire
I've been inspired by this forum over the last year or so to give it a go and have made some useful things. I thought it was time to share it with you guys and ask for some advice about my current project.

I lost my binoculars case a couple of years ago and as they are quite precious to me I wanted to protect them when I have them in my rucksack etc. I looked at a direct replacement of the original case (which comes with the bins when new) and they were wanting £50!!!!! So I thought I'd try my hand at a simple leather case for them - something thick for protection and hard wearing. I got some 4mm and 3mm veg tanned leather off of ebay and gave it a crack at the weekend. the brown leather was left over from a sheath I made and the clip is from an old rucksack that has been retired.

P1030796_zps1a6d13dc.jpg

P1030797_zps686ba5bc.jpg

I am quite pleased with the current result, even the wonky stitching but I think I would like to 1) darken the colour so it doesn't show the dirt as much 2) soften the leather very slightly and 3) protect it a bit from the weather so that the leather doesn't get damaged. I hope the photos upload as this is my first post! What would you recommend to finish the job off?

P1030799_zps6ab77faf.jpg

P1030800_zps87b39d7e.jpg

I have also tried my hand at a bit of scandi style knife making. the top one was the first I made for myself using a helle harding blade. This middle one I made for my dad's 60th birthday from a smaller blade to a very similar style. Both sheaths are from a hickory sledge hammer handle that snapped during some mis-use! The lower is of the same blade as the middle and with a sheath from moose leather and a root burl a friend gave me. Very pleased with how the last one turned out as it is my main user (mostly in the house, garden and garage rather than real bushy tasks).

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hi, and welcome to the forum.................that's a great bino. case! Who cares about a bit of wonky stitching? Character, man!.......................To achieve the darkening/softening/weatherproofing, I'd get some good pure neatsfoot oil ( not neatsfoot compound ) and apply it sparingly all over the outside with a sponge; do this 'till it gets how you like it, then leave it soak in and dry completely so you don't get the stuff on your bins! From then on, you just need to periodically use a good leather treatment now and then as required...........you can get the neatsfoot oil from an equine suppliers. The knives look great, too!
All the best, mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE