leather beveller stamp advice

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I need some advice on getting a new beveller stamp for leatherworking. the one i have at the moment is quite wide so its difficult to fit into tight corners or go around curves. i need one that is small so i can bevell lines in more detailed areas if that makes sense. my only problem is i dont know of any leathercraft shops in my area and buying these on the internet is so difficult without being able to judge the size correctly.

could anybody recommend a good small bevelling stamp that would get into tight spaces and around curves without much overlap?

cheers
Hamish

Dreadhead

im nae at home right now so cant see it but its pretty wide. i reckon ill go with the B60 if thats small enough. i laos have triangluar and curved stamps got around 30 all told just really need this small beveller for most jobs :)

Dreadhead

going to revive this thread to see what bevellers others are using. Thanks to Bardsters advice i got myself a B60 a while ago and it has been great but it still a little too big for fine detailed stuff. i have read that barry king bevellers are great but tis an american product, so i would prefer to find something uk based if possible any pointers leather pros?

Dreadhead

cheers bud me and swmbo took a drive up there a couple of months ago when we went to the woodland festival thing at elvaston castle tis a great wee shop once you find it! better wait until after xmas before i go buying more tools....and lace...and leather....and buckles...and pop studs....and dye....and oil....aaaaahhhhhh

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
have you a triangular beveller Hamish? handy for those really tight corners. Unfortunatly no one in this country seems to make them, crafttool are the only major manufacturer and a few custom makers in the US. We are very poorly served here in the UK. I suppose it comes from our tradition of plain saddlery, rather than decorated leather.

Dreadhead

aye i will look into getting a triangular one. for about a year i was using a figure carving tools for bevelling as its fairly triangular and its not too bad at bevelling tight corners so i do use that or i just use triangular backgrounders to tidy sharp corners up. ill keep my eye on ebay its cheaper buying from the us on ebay than it is buying anything here

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Hamish:
Have you thought of making your own? Stainless steel, or Monel nails make great stamps. All you need is a good eight inch ******* file, and set of jewelers files. No need of a vise or cramps to hold the nails whilst working it...just bore a hole a wee bit larger than the nail in a convenient place to work. The ss/Monel nails are pricey, but you only a couple. Any marine supplier will have them. Polish them with a felt bob, and stropping polish.
Woody

Dreadhead

the idea of making my own is a good one but i then have to buy a set of files and the nails and spend the time making them when i should be working on commissions :p i have found some cheap ones on ebay from the US which i will look into after xmas as i get more into tooling the more i recognise the need for a larger array of bevellers, matters, backgrounders etc

goods japan have some great stuff peaks but not much when it comes to tooling, they have the standard stamps you can get here. i will be grabbing some punches off them next year though at those prices!

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Sorry mate there is no other way but to make one up. The small one that tandy sell will undercut the line. As to tandy leather stamps there are s*&^ now that there are made in the far east.

Cheer
Topknot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE