Learn to knit lefties

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I can't offer any help on left handed knitting I'm afraid, but I'm sure you tube might be of use there.
I'd say double knit on size 4mm needles is average for most garments, but thicker wool knits quicker on larger needles, so if you want a good warm scarf as a first and simple item, use size 6mm and get a 400g ball of aran wool.
I've just knitted some simple wrist warmers in dk.(double knit) on size 4mm needles, easy pattern for those who want to try.
Cast on 45 stitches,
Work in k1, p1, (knit one, purl one) rib for 9 inches.
Cast off.
Sew up 5 inches from the bottom, leave a 2 inch gap, then sew up the last 2 inches.
Makes handy wrist warmers that you can still use a keyboard etc with.
I'm presently knitting a vest, or tank top, great project, as you don't have to knit sleeves!
Most patterns use straight needles and they are easiest to obtain. I get mine from a local charity shop, that also sells oddments of wool, which I use to knit squares for a blanket I'm working on.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I'm toying with learning to knit.. Something to do whole sat by the fire

Are there any books or media folk would suggest for a left hander.

Also..... What type and size needles to start with. Straight or circular?
Cool! :)

Plenty of stuff online (e.g. youtube) and every knitting magazine ever sold seem to have stuff on the basics. I do strongly suggest that you learn to knit the same as a right handed person, it will be a lot easier for you to get help and most lefties seem to knit the same, with only a small proportion not able to make it work. I hold my working yarn in my left hand and pick up the yarn with the right hand needle (aka continental), rather than English, when you wrap the yarn around the needle using your right hand.

If you want a treasure trove of free patterns and a helpful community of knitters and crocheters - join Ravelry.com!

I suggest starting with DK (double knit) or Aran weight (slightly thicker than DK) yarn and needles of a size that matches the yarn you choose (4 or 5 mm probably). What kind of items do you want to knit?

Straight needles are easy and cheap, but you can only do flat pieces of knitting on them. Cable (circular) needles can be used for either flat pieces by knitting back and forth, or round items (tubes) - but you need to match the length of the cable to your circumference (or get a very long one and do ‘magical loop’ for narrower tubes). For straight needles I would recommend getting bamboo ones to start with, since they are grippier than metal, so you are less likely to have the stitches slip off by mistake. Plus they are gentler on the hands.

Don’t start with a scarf! They take for ever and your first knitting will not be even. :) If you get a yarn in superwash wool or wool/acrylic blend in a colour that you like, you can knit two rectangles and then stitch them into two tubes with a hole for the thumb left in the seam and you’ll have a pair of nice and useful wrist warmers.

The trickiest part is to get started - casting on can be very confusing, so if you can find someone who can cast on for you that would be a massive help. Other than that you need to learn two stitches - the knit stitch and the purl stitch (these are the opposites of eachother - knit stitches give you the ‘v’ you see on a jumper on the side facing you, and the purl stitch gives you the bump on the side facing you, but if you turn the fabric around, they look like the other stitch (v-> bump and bump-> v)). You also need to learn how to make a yarn over (wrapping the yarn around the needle) and how to bind off and that’s really it. The rest is about figuring out how to get even tension, combining stitches, following patterns and reading your own knitting so that you can fix mistakes.

If you have a local yarn shop, they are usually super helpful if you ask questions etc. And they’ll be able to help you pick out a yarn and suitable needles.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Left handed ? sit facing a right handed knitter :) and just copy.
Seriously it's how my Mum taught a neighbour to knit.
Failing an obliging neighbour, youTube's probably a good idea :)

First stuff ? knit string squares. They make great dish scrubbers and when they get too grubby, they're excellent for cleaning shoes and boots. It's just a square, it doesn't matter if it's not perfect, it gets you started, it's not a huge thing, it's practice, it lets you get to grips with the whole process of how and how tight and how to hold it all, without any stress.
If you take to it and keep knitting them in wool they make a warm blanket too.

Needles ? I tuck mine under my arm, so I prefer long, unless I'm doing rounds and then I use five pins. I loathe circular needles, but they seem to be very in just now.

Size wise, the standard for a beginner when I was little was an 8 which is pretty close to a modern 4. If you find old needles in a charity shop the 8 will be a skinny 4mm diameter.
That size or anything a little thicker will do fine. I don't think I'd advise a beginner to go anything above a modern 6mm pin.
Charity shop needles are often a very good buy. Often a good place to pick up wool too though.

Patterns are a personal choice, but Sally in Wales has a pattern for socks on Downsizer that is very, very good. Straightforward and well explained and illustrated.

Best of luck with it; it's an incredibly useful skill and worth a bit of effort.

atb,
M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Never get frustrated with the thought you can't do it because you keep making mistakes. It's all part of learning, and no mistake and having to undo is wasted time. It's all part of the learning process.
I've been knitting for most of my life, and I still make mistakes that need to be undone and reknitted particularly on new patterns.
I've learned to knit socks on 4 needles during lockdown, and at first it was a nightmare! I'm now fairly competent, but it was a big learning curve, even for me.
I tend to stick to fairly simple knitting, to lend interest, I often use the modern self patterned yarn which add stripes and faux fair Isle, and look great on a simple garment.

Reactions: nigelp

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
When I’ve taught people to knit, I’ve always made a point of showing them how the yarn worms its way around the row of stitches. If you understand what the fabric should look like and how it’s constructed, it is much easier to correct mistakes.

Reactions: Toddy and nigelp

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Never get frustrated with the thought you can't do it because you keep making mistakes. It's all part of learning, and no mistake and having to undo is wasted time. It's all part of the learning process.
I've been knitting for most of my life, and I still make mistakes that need to be undone and reknitted particularly on new patterns.
I've learned to knit socks on 4 needles during lockdown, and at first it was a nightmare! I'm now fairly competent, but it was a big learning curve, even for me.
I tend to stick to fairly simple knitting, to lend interest, I often use the modern self patterned yarn which add stripes and faux fair Isle, and look great on a simple garment.
It took me years to work up the courage to knit in the round on double pointed needles (DPNs) and at first it felt like wrestling with an angry sea urchin. I got needles stuck under my watch strap, almost poked my eye out and I felt like throwing the knitting across the living room more than once. But then you find a way of holding the needles and all of a sudden it is comfortable and fast and no problem at all. :) Now I actually prefer DPNs to circular needles in general and certainly for sock knitting.

I think it’s worth highlighting to beginners that you don’t have to know all types of knitting to enjoy knitting. And if you fancy one type in particular, don’t be put off by it looking difficult. I taught some one to knit and one of her first projects (after a pair of wrist warmers) was some cool intarsia that she designed herself! So if you want to knit socks, or fair isle or cables or whatever, just go for it and take your time and you’ll soon be good enough at that particular thing.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Suggest that you visit a good local knitting shop. They know their stuff and if they're like the ones near me they are more than pleased to talk to people interested without any knowledge. I visited one who advised on xmas present for a novice. I got 4mm circular needles and two types of wool with patterns to suit. Very helpful advice.

My partner owns quite a few straight needles but they're used to poke out the dust stuck in the vacuum. She uses circular ones. If you want straight ones you can often find them in charity shops, certainly the ones near us anyway.

Videos must abound online. Handedness isn't clear in everything. I know ppl who kayak left handed but they're right handed. I started to learn guitar on an mate's left handed guitar and progressed nicely, but I bought a right handed one and couldn't play it. Simply couldn't do the strumming/picking or fingering on the fret (not sure they're the right phrases for it). It wouldn't surprise me if you can be left handed but knit right handed. Perhaps try right handed knitting? You never know...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE