Leaflet guide on trees/plants etc?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yellows

Nov 30, 2012
Hertfordshire
Hi,

I am ashamed to admit that I would not be able to point out an oak tree or any tree for that matter, but I would like to learn.

Does anyone know of any small handbooks or leaflets that show things like these?

- Identifying trees
- Identifying plants
- Edible things you can find in the wild (e.g. what berries are safe to eat and what are not - things like that)

These are topics that I would like to learn about, so if anyone has an idea of where leaflet/booklets like this can be found then please let me know

Thank you

JRjr

Nov 12, 2012
Dundee
If you have an android smartphone there is a forestry commission app which is free I would say it is not a comprehensive guide but covers a few of the most common trees you will find (did I say it is free :) )
I also downloaded the collins gem trees book to my phone at the same time (which was a couple of quid I think)
and the book 'food for free' from the same publisher is an available download too

or you could probably get them online for a couple of quid if you want paper copies :D

JRjr

Nov 12, 2012
Dundee
I think my local woods had something similar to those so maybe contact the rangers service? or see if the forestry commission have a paper leaflet that would help

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Does this fit in a pocket or is it a bit bigger?

They'll fit in a pocket.

ere9amas.jpg

touched by nature

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The Collins Guides are a great place to start, along with Mabley's Food for Free, I think you can do them all on android now, or get them in paper to curl up in the hammock with :)

I second getting the collins GEM books, I have the tree, wildflower, insect, mushroom, butterfly, and SAS survival guide books. They are pocket books and I keep them all in my car as they don't take up much space and means I have them to hand if I want to take them out on a bimble.

or alternatively as has been pointed out there are free resources out there you can download and print off but I think the GEM guides are ideal as they are concise and fit in a pocket :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE