Layering advice please...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Thank you Limaed and Widu13. I'm getting an idea on how these garments work as a system. I personnaly am keen to do more trekking than I do to find a spot to stop, so for these colder months I'm thinking merino base with a windshirt whilst active, then something like a down body or jacket when I stop. Fleece and waterproof if needed.

That's pretty much my combination, though I use a synthetic duvet rather than down as it copes better with the wet, although the pile/pertex is a good alternative. My fleece is fairly thin (Polartec 200) as it can be worn under my shell gear on very cold/wet days without getting too hot.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Brynje mesh shirt and pants. The mesh garments without the wool might be more helpful to you.

Have not used them but have used the cotton older fishnets and the principles of mesh do work.
I too find I tend to overheat easily so
everything has to have zips-no sweater without a zip or jacket.
Also look at your outer garment-a thin nylon uncoated outer layer might be helpful.
A lot depends on your movement and exertion.

I find that if I dress lightly but am completely covered with hat/thin gloves/headover etc. and with the ability to zip open I can avoid overheating in colder weather.

Problem then is if I want to stop and sit somewhere I need to pull on a padded jacket!

Look at the layers you are wearing..too heavy?

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You must balance exertion and sweat. If you are sweating you are overdressed or working too hard.

When i went up Mt Kinabalu I started in jungle and hot sun then you get freezing fog at 8-11,000 feet before you spend the night below the summit.

Wore boots jogging shorts (kwik dry) and a Dri fit shirt to 11,000 feet. When i stopped for a rest I put on a shell layer so as not to bet chilled which i take off when I move again. Wear no shirt if it's too warm.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
I have a buffalo shirt, and would not wear it if overheating/sweating was my problem, or to go walking in, i find them so damn warm in all but the very coldest conditions,great for sitting around in the cold/wind though.

I so wish I'd read andy's contribution before marching into town and spending £100 on a Buffalo smock. I think I got something resembling heatstroke within two miles. Typically I didn't bring any backup garments as I thought I wouldn't need any. That was my second mistake. Returning back to base while stripped to the waist was my third mistake. Now I have a cold. My first mistake was buying the damn thing. Another useless piece of kit I shall serve up on eBay for half of what I paid for it. Gah!

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I so wish I'd read andy's contribution before marching into town and spending £100 on a Buffalo smock. I think I got something resembling heatstroke within two miles. Typically I didn't bring any backup garments as I thought I wouldn't need any. That was my second mistake. Returning back to base while stripped to the waist was my third mistake. Now I have a cold. My first mistake was buying the damn thing. Another useless piece of kit I shall serve up on eBay for half of what I paid for it. Gah!

it's way to warm to be thinking about wearing buffalo pile/pertex clothing at the moment, mine doesn't usually come out 'til there's snow on the ground.

just out of curiosity, why didn't you wear the same clothes to walk back from the shop that you used to walk there?

stuart

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

It is a bit toasty to be wearing a Buffalo top, except possibly something from the lightweight range. You will probably find a better price here on BCUK, which Buffalo smock is it? :)

bearbait

I don't think you made a mistake buying the Buffalo Smock: it is not a useless piece of kit - you just weren't aware of how warm they can be! I don't think you should get rid of the Buffalo Smock (just yet): it should be used as part of your outdoor clothing system. No item of clothing (as far as I know) can keep you comfortable and alive in temperatures from sub-zero C to 20C or 30C whilst both static and working. By way of illustration, and as a sort of converse of BOD's post earlier in this thread: in autumn (fall) in the Canadian Rockies it can be freezing overnight, 1C or 2C over breakfast and low 20s C by lunch time or early afternoon...so the day's hike starts off for me with Lowe Mountain Cap, silk gloves, Buffalo Pile Mitts and Buffalo Special 6 Smock with Lowe tights. As the day progresses these get peeled off and eventually my trunk is covered just with a merino T and my regular legwear; headwear becomes a basball cap to stop my brains from frying; sunblock is useful too! If there's a bit of a breeze maybe the Windshirt is donned over the merino T. As I said above, dress for theatre and operation: where you are and what you're doing. Try to maintain your body at comfortable temperature; you'll work better that that way. Generally if you are static you need more layers than if working lightly (a gentle paddle of your canoe) and if working hard (toiling up a mountain with a heavy pack). Don't give up on your Buffalo Smock just yet: keep it and just mix and match until you get a system that works for you for you varied outdoor activities. There's some great info in this thread to ponder on, hopefully before you get rid of your Buffalo Smock!

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Thanks to everyone who contributed, I think I might have solved my problem. I’ve bought a Montane Featherlight. This deceptively flimsy top is just right over my synthetic Endura cycling teeshirt. I feel cold to begin with but when I stop, even though the teeshirt is damp the inside of the Featherlight is not dripping and during the walk the teeshirt never feels so sodden that it’s delivering a cold wet slap with every step. That said, I almost wished I’d started out with the Buffalo this morning, I was doing a section of the Thames path and the wind was whipping off the river with a bone stabbing velocity that the Featherlight just about managed to thwart. I shall keep the Buffalo, but only for keeping warm in camp. I can’t imagine walking in it for any length of time.

At the moment I’m concentrating on speed and distance so need to build up my knowledge of technical fabrics and their properties. So for the time being I’ve lodged the bushcrafty stuff like the Swannie and the godawful sweatrex. It’s OK if standing still in a downpour but I can’t move around in it comfortably.

Happily I’ve lost three stone since the end of July so I must be doing something right. However I’d still appreciate some more advice on a suitable winter base layer. I seem to have loads of clothes but no practical idea about how I should combine them.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
For a winter baselayer I can recommend Helly Hansen 'Warm' kit. It's a pretty substantial combination of wool and some sort of synthetic. I have used their 'Dry' (Lifa in old money) synthetic stuff before and it's great at moving moisture and keeping a bit of a chill out, but their wool stuff excels when you are talking about temperatures around 0 and below. Feels a lot more comfortable and natural than the purely synthetic stuff too, but still dries out from sweat in fairly short order.

It's not what I'd call 3 season kit though, if you wear it when the conditions are just a bit chilly rather than cold (i.e. spring and autumn) it can easily be too warm once you get moving, and isn't as easily doffed or replaced as a fleece or outer layer.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cant read it all as my battery is dying , seems. A lot of buffalo/montane this n that ! I swear by snugpac softie smock. . . Better pockets and reflectatherm fill B-)

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hillwalking in Spring, Autumn and winter, and when mountain biking, I wear a thermal t shirt, ancient Noth Cape one, and a Montane thermal lined pertex top. This top is very thin pertex so is very breathable. It has zips down the chest sides, a chest pocket and hood.

It is very breathable when it's dry or wet.

As long as you are moving it's warm.

I have also moved to a thin thermal loose fitting top, 5 Es in decathlon, then a softshell jacket. This is a very dry combo when you are working hard going up hill.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE