Law, fishing and game on private land

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I no longer live in the UK, and this isn't a subject I researched much when I lived there...

After reading a few threads about fishing and trout tickling, I wonder how the law stands regarding a landowner on his own land, fishing in a small lake fed from a spring.

Let's imagine that I come back to the UK, and buy a plot of land, with just such a lake.

Am I really not allowed to take fish from it using a net, or hand line?

I can undertand protection of rare species.
I can understand laws limiting techniques which could cause undue suffering, or which could cause pollution. I can even, at a push, understand rules governing water courses traversing land belonging to several different landowners... but surely I can't "poach" on my own land, can I?

Keith.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
As far as I am aware....indeed you can't poach but you can still be breaking the law doing this. In the same way that a landowner cannot use a bow and arrow to hunt rabbit, deer etc on his own land. the various acts cover ways of killing as well as where and by whom. The act that covers trout is fairly specific in how you can and how you can't do it and hand lines and tickling are a no no!
It does seem a little harsh but then so do a lot of our laws to those of us who wouldn't take the p***.

I also seem to remember something from when I did my BCU Open Canoe senior instructors about access where by the landowner owns the river bed (i.e. the land) but BW or the local relevant equivalent owns the actual water and everything in it.....think that's right.

The other guys on here are all real clued up so one of them will be able to tell you for sure and to quote the relevant Acts of Parliament but as I say; the short answer is no you couldn't do what you ask even on your own land.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE