Lavvubie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ed_is_dead

Feb 4, 2014
Ireland
Thanks to Snozz I recently took delivery of TwoDogs old Frisport Krokskogen 8 to 10 man Lavvu. I have no experience with these shelters so any advice welcome.

Seems it was largely unused before I got it so does not have the hat or guy lines fitted and finding out info on this is difficult. Frisports online pdf guide is in Norwegian but i got a rough outline on how to pitch from it, still spent a half hr flapping with it though lol. Tips on pitching appreciated. Was thinking of measuring out some string to mark pegging points?

Some pics I've seen online show the hats guylines tie off to the triangular flaps uppermost (head height), while some have the lines guyed through upper and lower points and then pegged out.
Any advice? Id like to leave the hat on and wont be using a fire for the meantime. I'd also like to guy out the tent.

Heres some pics...

Its big!

Mossie doors are nice but none on the peak for the hat...wonder are they available?

Speaking to Jed in TrueNorthOutdoors and one thing he mentioned was there were a couple reports of drips from here in later models, a combination of overlapping of seams, stitching and tape conspiring.
Im not sure how new the Krokskogen is but I'll seam seal here. Any advice on the best product to use? Never used it.

As an aside, for the temp groundsheet i used an IPK shelter systems tarp. Not bad for a fiver and the cordage and pegs are great.

Pack wise I cant complain, seven and a half kg including the above tarp.

Thanks for advice in advance.
C.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I do like the look of that shelter, so much lighter than my Tentipi. Have seen a couple up and they seem to be the dogs happy bits. Good luck getting to know it and look forward to hearing how it all goes.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i have a bisson lavvu. to be honest, even if you don't want to have a burner in there, have the top hat lines fitted to you can reach them easily. when it's nice and warm it means its easy to vent from the top. i use a few of those tiny life venture karabiners for ease of attachment.

ed_is_dead

Feb 4, 2014
Ireland
I do like the look of that shelter, so much lighter than my Tentipi. Have seen a couple up and they seem to be the dogs happy bits. Good luck getting to know it and look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Goatboy, first night in it complete. I'm no longer a Lavvubie :)
Feels really alien to sleep in, alien good.
My initial feel is its cavernous lol. You sleep in a 'small' tent, you inhabit a Lavvu.
The space and shape afford a dome/tunnel tent user much more air and potential for getting a feel for the place.

Re your Tentipi, id love some pics. Was advised re this whole notion of buying a Lavvu by a tentip owning guy I know. From researching them they seem to command a devotion from owners. None would sell me theirs second hand! Then there's the price, gulp.
As for pack size/weight its doable on my traillie motorcycle, coupled with my exped megamat its moto camping luxury lol. All I need is a pass.

Hi
frisport have a pdf which some of the pictures may be useful link below

http://frisport.no/images/stories/pdf/montering av lavvo.pdf

when we pitch a canvas tipi from bell tent which looks like it has a similar cap, the cap has separate guy lines which we attach to the bottom peg out points. This allows you to adjust ventilation as and when required

View attachment 31003

Chas, thanks for the link, its proved to be valuable. I'd have flapped for an hr instead of a half hr pitching it first time. Mind you my attempt at packing it away was less a success. Hard to half the tent flat to get the sides folded in concertina and rolled up if you understand me. two attempts gave me a pack that was too long or too short.
On the hat, I fitted it and tied the six guys to the upper most eyelets and not to the ground. I doubled over sixth the seventh guys to create an overlap to shed water. I will do as this man suggests
http://naturallore.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/frisport-andersnatten-extreme-6-8-person-lavvu/
and fit some shock cord loops to open up the hat partially. Interesting site that and well laid out btw. Makes me want to head off into the wilds.
Your Bell tent is something I will probably invest in. Not having the dollars for a tentipi it will be my first foray into canvas. Any pics of it in use?

i have a bisson lavvu. to be honest, even if you don't want to have a burner in there, have the top hat lines fitted to you can reach them easily. when it's nice and warm it means its easy to vent from the top. i use a few of those tiny life venture karabiners for ease of attachment.
Baggins, I will look up those Karabiners, they sound the job.
My hat tie off points are barely reachable (Im 6 foot odd) without pulling a peg and standing under the snow valance, bit of a balls tbh. As I wont be using a stove/fire for the foreseeable id like to leave the hat in situ and just undo the two overlapped guys to allow air in.
Im impressed just how effective the two pegged out ground vents and an opened hat sheds heat, so airy. That silver lining really works too and not as dark as I had worried.
As the others, some pics of the Bison would be great, not familiar with them.

Some pics

Yes messy. I must sort the excess cord and put those clips on.

Height!
Mad to match the clouds/stars under it.

Old lamp and citronella oil kept the mozzies at bay. Lovely soft light reflected inside with that weird silver lining. LED light was harsh.

The hat prior to fitting.
The attached guys don't fall all the way to the ground so Im guessing the design had them tied off where I have them, well that's my thinking anyhow.

This pic again. Any thoughts on the seam sealing potential issue lads?
Interesting point... That twine used on the inside to join what appear to be hanging points for an inner tent. Its unusual and very strong and a tight braide too. One length of it can easily support my weight, in fact I couldn't even begin snap it bouncing with my boot in a loop and the other end tied off to the vice.
My guess is the previous owner TwoDogs added it. I could do with some more of this twine.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

This pic again. Any thoughts on the seam sealing potential issue lads?
Interesting point... That twine used on the inside to join what appear to be hanging points for an inner tent. Its unusual and very strong and a tight braide too. One length of it can easily support my weight, in fact I couldn't even begin snap it bouncing with my boot in a loop and the other end tied off to the vice.
My guess is the previous owner TwoDogs added it. I could do with some more of this twine.

Looks like military coms cord... good stuff, nice and strong as you say and great for guy lines :)

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
It looks like a fabulous setup. Almost sorry I sold it now! Enjoy it!

Snozz

Sent from my mobile.

ed_is_dead

Feb 4, 2014
Ireland
Snozz, I am delighted with it and thanks again for holding it for me. Are you after some new kit yourself?
Mesquite/TwoDogs, being a curious cat I loaded all my weights on one 3mm thick length of this and it didnt break or noticeably stretch, it was over 300kg. I then bounced on the weights, nothing lol. Reading up on cordage this appears to meet the specs of cordage named 'Dyneema'. I will be buying a spool of it.
TwoDogs, any tips you can advise in pitching, using and packing away the Lavvu?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE