Latest interesting leather projects :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi folks, haven't posted up in a while so thought I'd show off just a few of the bits and bobs i've put out in the past couple of weeks.

I just finished this satchel this morning, and am rather chuffed with how it has turned out as it was a bit of an experiment with new patterns and tooling techniques. The whole flap is tooled with pictish spiral work, video below of the technique I used for this one which is completely different to how i normally tool leather.

HalfGoatLeatherwork Pictish Satchel 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoatLeatherwork Pictish Satchel 6 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoatLeatherwork Pictish Satchel 8 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

[video=youtube;LwenRCj1Iog]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwenRCj1Iog[/video]

Next up is a set of patches for a member here. He wanted his own brand/logo carved on each one, and for two to be larger with velcro stitched on, and the other two thinner and smaller for stitching onto clothing. These were a real fun wee project to work on :)

HalfGoat Stag Patches 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Stag Patches 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Custom sheath for a CRKT hawk
HalfGoat CRKT Hawk Mask 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Have been doing various sporrans this month too, some with an unusual twist.

Pictish Wolf Sporran, with Ogham script, and an internal divider stitched in.

HalfGoat Pict Wolf Sporran 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Pict Wolf Sporran 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Raven sillouette sporran and belt kit
HalfGoat Raven Set 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Pictish Bear
HalfGoat Bear Sporran 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Now for an unusual one. Customer wanted a sporran with a Pterodactyle sillouetted with the rune of protection incorporated somehow, and wanted a black/blue colour combo.

HalfGoat Pterodactyle Sporran by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

The same customer also wanted a brown belt with tan carvings along it of a whale, bear, panther, boar, wolf, and raven which I carved in pictish style

HalfGoat Pictish Animal Belt 1 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Another first for me this month was a request for a belt holster for a pair of garden secateurs :)

HalfGoat Secateurs Sheath by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Anyway that's it for now folks, until I have more goodies to show off :)

Dreadhead

thanks fellas :)

It was a simple modelling spoon like this
attachment.php

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 182
Thanks. I might give that a try. I'm guessing you score the design with a knife then wet the leather and use the spoon to emboss it? I had no idea how that was done until now - IF I do now that is. I don't imagine it's as easy as you make it look.

Last edited:

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
very good work!
Hey those patches for a member are super nice. Good idea, and so cool, I would stich them to jacket, rucksack and maybe trouser cargo pocket. Very impressed with idea and execution.
That Pictish Wolf Sporran is my favorite :)

Dreadhead

Thanks. I might give that a try. I'm guessing you score the design with a knife then wet the leather and use the spoon to emboss it? I had no idea how that was done until now - IF I do now that is. I don't imagine it's as easy as you make it look.

half right haha. Usually I cut the lines in with a swivel knife and use bevelling stamps with a mallet to compress (emboss) the leather. This time was different because all I did was mark my design on the leather, and emboss it with the spoon without cutting any lines whatsoever. The upside is that this is much quicker, and does give smooth lines especially with curves, but the downside is that it is very shallow and doesn't give the depth that I can get with a swivel knife/stamp combo, it's also less crisp this way. But that's why it's fun experimenting. for this specific design, it worked. But I will stick to my usual methods :)

very good work!
Hey those patches for a member are super nice. Good idea, and so cool, I would stich them to jacket, rucksack and maybe trouser cargo pocket. Very impressed with idea and execution.
That Pictish Wolf Sporran is my favorite

Thanks mate :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Stunning - as ever!
I really like the "Spoon modelling" technique - the results say it all...
I really like the music on the video as well - who and what is it?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Beautiful work Hamish. Nothing more that can be said, you are a true craftsman sir

Dreadhead

Stunning - as ever!
I really like the "Spoon modelling" technique - the results say it all...
I really like the music on the video as well - who and what is it?

Thanks mate, the first track is Virelai, a Danish group we met at Gudvangen. The second is Folque, a folky norwegian group from the 70's

Lot of nice stuff there Hamish going to be a lot of happy folks round about Yuletide

M

Thanks Mary :)

Beautiful work Hamish. Nothing more that can be said, you are a true craftsman sir

Cheers mate :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You've been busy Hamish! Blimey :D Lovely work... love that bear design the best!

Still waiting for my tools to arrive... I have a sneaky suspicion that even though they said they were in the UK, they're posting them from abroad. Been practicing using my wife's claying working tools... not exactly the same, but got some interesting effects.

Dreadhead

You've been busy Hamish! Blimey :D Lovely work... love that bear design the best!

Still waiting for my tools to arrive... I have a sneaky suspicion that even though they said they were in the UK, they're posting them from abroad. Been practicing using my wife's claying working tools... not exactly the same, but got some interesting effects.

cheers matey ;) good luck with the new tools hope you get some good practice in :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE