Last of the "Coureurs de Bois"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I found a really interesting book in a second hand book shop the other week. Written in 1974, (before Bushcraft became fashionable?) by a Canadian called Paul Provencher. They are the memoirs of a man who spent his life in the forests of Quebec, surveying, travelling, hunting and trapping.
Among a lots of fascinating accounts of his life, with lotsd of black and white photos,he describes what "basic kit" one of his Montagnais Native compagnon had in his pockets.

"I'd noticed that Uapistan always travelled light, and never cluttered himself up with useless things. Apart from his axe, which he always carried in his hand, and his pipe in the corner of his mouth, Uapistan seemed to need nothing, and yet to be always ready to meet Nature's challenges. Thisintrigued me deeply, so much that one day I asked him to empty his pocket for me. He lloked at me in surprise, and then burst out laughing.

"you think I have pinched your matches, Otshimau?"

"Oh no Uapistan! Come on now, you know very well I trust you. I just want to see what you carry in your pockets that gives you such self-confidence!" At that, he began to empty his pochets willingly enough.

He took out a pouch full of tobacco, a dozen matches in a water-tight case made of birch bark, five hare snares made of brass wire, a single blade pocket knife, a small whetstone, 4 lengths of fishing line each about a yard long, 2 wire leades about the same length, 4 inch-and-a-half fishhooks, and a twenty foot length of line.

From his right hip pocket he took an oilcloth tobacco pouch containing a handful of tea, from his left, a catapult and 6 rounf pebbles 1/2 inch in diameter and 4 3inch nails. The whole collection weighed about half a pound. The belt holding his pants consisted of a thin thong of oil tanned leather, thirty inches long. ( for string of bow drill)

Well, I'd stripped my "superman"! But what a lesson
in forethought I'd had from it!

I think it's amazing how little some people need to survive. What do you think?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
If you are brought up to it and are at home in your environment then "going light" would hold no fears.

Not many of us could do it today but then the vast majority of us (excluding the few remaining indigenous peoples scattered around the globe) don't have to.

Sounds like a very interesting book. :)

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Sounds like an interesting read, is it in english or french?. I with I could travel that light, though I'd want something more substantial than a folding knife.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
In fact, I've just had a look on Abebooks, I can only get onto the dot com version, co dot uk doesn't seem to be working for me. They have it on there for about 10 USD, chuck another 10 bucks on for postage and you get it for ten quid basically. Maybe it can be found in second hand bookstores, but I don't have that luxury in Germany :(

As soon as I can get on Abebooks UK, I can access my account and order this book, I want to read it already it sounds that good!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Snufkin said:
Sounds like an interesting read, is it in english or french?. I with I could travel that light, though I'd want something more substantial than a folding knife.
It's in english, Snufkin. Lots of interesting reading, about the people themselves, White and Natives and their way of life. Paul Provencher was born in 1902, so that's someone living bushcraft before Ray brought it back to our attention. Coureur de Bois is the french equivalent of the EnglishTrappers/Mountainmen, although that was the name given to trappers in the 17th century in "new France", they were basically a thorn in the side of the french authorities (yessss! :D ) as they oversupplied the fur trade and prices were down. Authorities and rich merchants did not like it much!

They existed before the era of the "voyageurs" who were employed by the fur compagnies (they were then controlled by having to have permit to operate)

There are stories about living in the woods, canoeing and building canoes, bow hunting bears, fishing etc. It's a real good read.

I suppose, the longer we practice these techniques, the more skilled we become and therefore becoming less dependant on gadgets and "things" to survive.

It's so easy, really to live in our society. But then, how long does it take for "law order" and society to brake down, and for "barbarism" to return?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
My copy has arrived, it wasn't supposed to get here before January!! I also got The Snow Walker so I'll read that afterwards. It looks like Asimov is gonna go back on the shelf for a while!!!

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
One thing that you have to realize is that both Provencher and Uapistan lived the life all day, day in and day out. Uapistan had been trained from birth do take care of himself, not hoping or even expecting that if he got lost or hurt he would be rescued. Some aboriginals (the ones farthest from the "white man") of North America of that time were self reliant and accepted the fact that they could and did die when things went wrong. Please don't take this as a model/guide as what to carry unless you have the years of experience/practise to back it up. A good read, as I have read his books in my younger days.
Uapistan didn't only have a folding blade he had an axe, we all carry an axe with us on our travelds, however short, between an axe and a knife I would have my axe.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Carcajou Garou said:
... Please don't take this as a model/guide as what to carry unless you have the years of experience/practise to back it up...

Excellent advice, CG. Sets the knowledge and experiences contained in the book into context, very nicely.

Best regards,
Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE