Last nights foray.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I went up on the Farmers' land last night to do a bit of pest control and saw some amazing things! First up was, I believe, a kestrel that was flying about 10 metres above me for 10 minutes or so.:D It was strange as I first saw him on the fence eating something, and then he jumped down and was running along the ground! Didn't have my camera I'm afraid, but it is the second time I've seen him up there. At least I think it was a him, I looked on the net and it seems right looking at the wings.

I also saw a massive hare, tried creeping up for a good look, but it ran off. So far, pretty awesome. Then I heard two hedgehogs getting it on!:eek: Not quite so awesome!:rolleyes: Next was a loud screeching noise, I think it was an owl as I've seen one up there before and it was massive! Didn't see it last night though.

So that was my night. When I investigated the fence where the kestrel had been, I found this feather, but not the guitar! Can anyone confirm that it was definitely a kestrel? Looking at the way the feather curves in cross section, I'm guessing it is a wing feather as opposed to a tail which I believe are banded all the way across anyway. Cheers for looking!

HPIM2856.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Like I said, not totally up on my bird of prey recognition, just had a look at this picture of a buzzard:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hugh.griffiths/site/p/images/SOSstonham/54D03C0157.jpg

And that looks totally different to what I saw last night. Look at the hovering kestrel on this next page, I'm pretty sure it was a kestrel I saw as it looked just like this in the hover. Imagine your arms are wings, put them outstretched and just flap your hands from the wrist. That's kinda what it looked like!

http://www.lincsbirdclub.co.uk/rare_birds/kestrel.htm

It had a dark patch under its eye aswell, and its wings were a different tone on the last joint as the rest of the wing. I'll take my camera up next time and hopefully catch a shot of him, he hovers so it is a good opportunity for an in flight photo!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE