Lars Monsens new book out

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Lars Monsens new book "Stora vildmarksboken : utrustning, fältkunskap och överlevnadsteknik" is now available in swedish (sorry guys no english). This is a follow up on his last book Vildmarksboken, but since then he has crossed canada and has a lot more experience to tell as always in his very personal way.

Rob Hofman

Mar 3, 2004
Hi viking,

Do you know were its sold , i've got two swedish books "overlevnad par naturens vilkorr" and the eld book i hope i spell it o.k. the overlevnad book is my favorit survival book although i can't read swedish very well . I am searching for a kind off Swedish Amazon with a nice collection off swedish survival books.

cheers Rob

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Rob Hofman said:
Hi viking,

Do you know were its sold , i've got two swedish books "overlevnad par naturens vilkorr" and the eld book i hope i spell it o.k. the overlevnad book is my favorit survival book although i can't read swedish very well . I am searching for a kind off Swedish Amazon with a nice collection off swedish survival books.

Hi Rob!

Check out http://www.adlibris.se that´s where I normally buy all my books off the internet.

Good books to look for except Lars Monsens new one are Lars Fälts 3 books.
Vinterfärden (good book about about the outdoors in the winter)
Friluftsboken (Good chapter on canoeing)
Uteliv (Good survival book)

And if you get your hands on "Handbok: Överlevnad" which is the army´s handbook on survival despite it´s pretty old it´s still probably the best book about survival in a the northern countries.

Other books that are interesting and fun to read i "Slöjda och bygg för friluftsliv" much how to make things and carving and has everything from shelters to toys.

I buy all the swedish books I can about survival and bushcraft so I got a small collection but it´s all packed down at the moment becasue of a move, but when I pack it up I can probably give you some more tips =)

Rob Hofman

Mar 3, 2004
Hi Viking,

It would be nice if you can give list with Swedish books, In my opinion they are the best on the subject if you take edible plants for example most english books give just names and a photographs of the plant , In the Swedish book i own they also give collecting time and calories per KG which is very practical i think.

I can't understand why these books are translated in English yet, I have to learn Swedish fast i think.

Cheers Rob

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Rob Hofman said:
I can't understand why these books are translated in English yet, I have to learn Swedish fast i think.

What is good about learning Swedish (or any of the Scandinavian languages) is that you'll be able to understand both Norwegian and Danish as well. I don't know if Helge Ingstad's books have been translated to English, if not they are definately recommended reading after you learn Swedish! ;)

Torjus Gaaren

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands

Rob Hofman

Mar 3, 2004
so both the books of Lars Monsen and Helge Ingstad are interresting , i have just ordered two winter survival books which i saw on Abbe's homepage.

Does anyone has some tips on how too explain your wife why there is another bushcraft book in the post?

Cheers Rob

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Rob Hofman said:
so both the books of Lars Monsen and Helge Ingstad are interresting , i have just ordered two winter survival books which i saw on Abbe's homepage.

Does anyone has some tips on how too explain your wife why there is another bushcraft book in the post?

Cheers Rob

Buy the book collapse too from Jared Diamond and explain her about the oil crash etc tell her that knowleadge you have in you none cant take away and that the people looked quite funny too when they saw good old "Noah" building the Ark in a desert. :D :D

hope that help and she is not divorcing you!

cheers
Abbe

Rob Hofman

Mar 3, 2004
Thanks Abbe,

The oil problem is why we bought a woodstove , the Millenium problems justified me to buy a waterfilter , i am out off excuses so the ark tip is welcome.

cheers Rob

Fjällräven

Jul 29, 2011
Denmark
I can also give the book "Slöjda och bygg for friluftsliv" thumbs up. Great litle book with alot of ideas for bushcraft work.
"Friluftsboken" by Lars Fält i have just received today. Also a great basic book with great drawings in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE