large first aid pouch recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi All,

I've just completed my REC2 first aid training and realise that I need a more comprehensive kit now that I am responsible for groups of people outdoors. More kit means a new pouch to store it in and I want something that is going to be tough and have compartments to organise everything. Not bothered about colour and it needs to on the larger side but not as big as the PLCE medic side pouch that some people use on their bergans.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Best

Barry

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
What kit are you putting in it?

immobilising collars take up a fair area for example, even though they pack flat..

On the first aid course I did last weekend, the instructors suggested buying one of these for about £10 :

1staid1.jpg

comes with a useful sized bag with compartments and some usefull stuff to get you started :

1staid2.jpg

This looks like the same one though, quite why a "motorists first aid kit" comes with cleansing wipes, soap wipes, antiseptic wipes and anti-mosquito wipes is beyond me :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Whatever bag you get make sure that you bin some of the worthless kit that comes with it. Remember, companies that make First Aid Kits are out to make money-not to get you good kit.
Those cheap kits will have sh*te quality supplies. Usually the triangular bandage is non woven and can be torn in half easily. Why not make your own high quality triangular bandages by buying a good bed sheet from Oxfam and cutting out your own bandages. You can even use that crappy on as a template.
Secondly, you are going to be out in the field. You will need additional kit that a cheap kit will not have. You have taken a REC 2 and know what that kit is.

Back to your original question. You want something roughly 10inX10inX4in. You want it big enough for a SAM splint. I am a fan of bum bags. That way I can keep that at the top of my backpack where it is easy to grab if there is an injury. I can strap it around my waist to keep my hands free but it is still easily available.

I recently bought a few StatPack Medslinger kits. We use them for our WFR and Remote EMT students. They might be a bit big for a REC2 first aider but the concept is the same as a small bum bag.

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE